Removing a switch

Old 11-03-07, 10:58 AM
Removing a switch

I have a single-pole switch that controls a receptacle in my living room. Since I have my TV, TIVO, receiver, etc. plugged into that receptacle, I would like to get rid of the switch.

What would be the best way to do this? If I remove the switch and splice the wires together in the box, would I need to cover the box with a metal plate? Are there any other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-07, 11:19 AM
First, understand that by doing this you may be creating a code violation. Code requires a switched receptacle or switched light in most rooms of a house. If you don't have a something switched, you cannot do this and stay with in code.

What that means is that if you do this (and I advice against it) , I suggest that you make explicit directions on what you did, so that you can undo it when you eventually sell.

Before doing anything, you should investigate the wiring. It may be possible to only switch half the receptacle, or it may be possible to make another receptacle in the living room switched. Either of these options are better than completely eliminating the switched receptacle.

A better solution altogether is to buy a device that will prevent the switch from being turned off. You attach it to the switch itself. This means no rewiring and no code violation.

If you do want to remove the switch, I suggest simply bypassing the switch, either at the receptacle (if possible) or at the switch. But then I recommend leaving the switch in place.

To eliminate the switch

Old 11-03-07, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
I put the wires together in a nut and just left the switch that no longer controlled anything in place.