replacing pushmatics circuit breaker

Old 11-04-07, 07:31 PM
replacing pushmatics circuit breaker

In my electric panel (Pushmatics) I found pushmatics circuit breaker P230 (220V 30A) which is installed before the "main breaker" - see attached picture

Now I need 220V 50A.
Can I just replace the existing one?
The procedure itself doesn't look too complicated but what kind of troubles may I have?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 09:13 PM
Careful! That actually is not a main breaker as such. The panel is a split buss and that breaker you point to is the main "Lighting" breaker it powers the lower half of the panel. Everything above that is hot and stays hot unless you pull the meter.

Why the 50 amp breaker ...hot tub or something?

At any rate you will have to install that breaker into a hot buss and it is a bolt on so not a good choice IMO. Get the meter pulled by the poco. Be safe.

Roger

Old 11-04-07, 10:17 PM
This breaker box arrangement what we called " split buss " design and the upper half of breaker box stay hot all the time the only way it will be come " cold " is remove the meter [ you will have to get POCO to do this ] or get the electricican to come out and deal with it.

this kind of stuff i deal it from time to time so you will know what it will run into.

Pushmatic breaker is one of last few exsting breaker box still use the bolt in fourmat but to find the breaker not too many places may stock this type of breaker what you are looking for.

the Pushmatic stopped making them quite few years back so you may have some issue finding this breaker but here the part number in case you ask for P250 [ that is pushmatic's number ]

Merci, Marc

Old 11-05-07, 06:25 AM
Thanks for advices! I do recognize that the upper part of the
box stays hot and doesn't depend on main breaker position.

My question was more about if it is OK to replace this breaker by the more powerful one.

My wife is in the process of buying kiln for her crafts and specification says that kiln works on 30A 220V but "Fuse is 50A" required. That's why I think I need this 50A breaker.
I have found the pushmatics breaker online for $50 already...

And also should I replace wires that going to the outlet from the current 30A breaker ?

Old 11-05-07, 06:44 AM
50 amp breaker will require the replacement of the wires. You will need #6 wire for the 50 amps.
30 amp only requires #10.

Old 11-05-07, 08:55 AM
Would it be possible for you to share with us the model # and maker of this kiln so we can see if we can get the spec's online ? Or give us a link to it?

Kilns are continuous loads and require upsizing the breaker and wiring to the kiln above the listed amperage but it would be nice if we could see this kiln online and look at the specifciations.

Roger

Old 11-05-07, 09:00 AM
Just saw your other question and yes you can replace that 30 with a 50. this is a decent addition of load to your panel. There is a calculation that can be done to determine if the extra load is going to perhaps become an issue.

roger

Old 11-05-07, 09:36 AM
Increasing the size of one of the top-half breakers in a split bus panel is equivalent to increasing the size of the main breaker in a regular panel. I don't believe you can do that without first verifying that the power company's conductors, and your service conductors, can handle the increased load. Remember, all the breakers in the top half of your panel collectively act as the main breaker.

Old 11-05-07, 12:39 PM
Yes, I was mistaken. I remember now on some of the old GE split buss you had one called a main range panel. You would add the breakers in the top half and they must match or be less than the service entrance conductor ampacity. He likely will not be able to add that 50 as John stated.