Breaker Retainer Installation

Old 11-05-07, 06:24 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker Retainer Installation

I have a GE powermark gold subpanel in my detached garage and am planning to bring power into the panel by backfeeding. The part that has me stumped is how to install the breaker retainer. No instructions came with the retainer (THQLRK2), and the guys at the local electrical wholesaler have no idea how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to a photo of the part: http://www.galesburgelectric.com/GE-...Detailed_Image

Old 11-05-07, 05:36 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There should be a couple of threaded holes in the back of the can that will accept the two screws.
I can't tell you what the orientation of the breaker or bracket should be but if you look for the threaded holes, you should be able to figure it out.
I'll check when I am in the office to see if we have the instructions on file.

Old 11-06-07, 07:47 AM
H
Dezwit,

Thanks for responding. I assume you mean the subpanel box when you refer to the "can." Your advice makes perfect sense given the holes in the retainer and is what I thought when I first looked at the part. However, there aren't any holes at all in the can (let alone threaded). Also, given the form/structure of the retainer, I can't see how screwing it into the panel through the two holes would allow for the breaker to be locked into place--that would leave only the short tab standing vertically.

I have tried dryfitting (sorry for the plumbing reference) in all sorts of other orientations but am at my wit's end. I am getting a little closer to finding the right people at GE, but that still seems like an impenetrable fortress. Hopefully you can find some instructions or I can suddenly see the light on my own.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-07, 08:44 AM
Google the part # and click the images tab....there is bound to be a picture of your part in its operating environment.

Some of the online Supply companies also offer the instruction booklets/ brochures , in the customer support area.

Old 11-06-07, 09:12 AM
H
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Google the part # and click the images tab....there is bound to be a picture of your part in its operating environment.

Some of the online Supply companies also offer the instruction booklets/ brochures , in the customer support area.
Been there, done that. Google can provide the answer to the meaning of life, but not how to install this damn part. So far, I also can't find any help at the on-line supply houses. My best source for these conundrums is normally the local supply shop (not big box), but as noted before, they couldn't figure it out.

Old 11-06-07, 09:56 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
And maybe it is the wrong part. Maybe an error in cross reference charts, labeling, packaging. I'd try buying from another source and hope it was different or it usually came with instructions and the first was just missing them.

Old 11-06-07, 10:25 AM
H
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
And maybe it is the wrong part. Maybe an error in cross reference charts, labeling, packaging. I'd try buying from another source and hope it was different or it usually came with instructions and the first was just missing them.
Interesting thought. However, I found one on-line supplier with an image of the part (standalone, not installed), and it is the same as the one I bought. It seems unlikely that two places would make the same error, although that is a possibility if the source (i.e., GE) made the error. In terms of other suppliers, I am stuck with the big boxes if I don't work with the local trade supplier/wholesaler.

In the meantime, I'll keep pursuing the GE route, and my inspector has expressed a willingness to help. I may also have to bite the bullet and bring in professional assistance. I hate the thought of paying $100 or so for what will turn out to be ten seconds of work. Then again, if I can't figure out a simple mechanical problem, it serves me right.

Old 11-06-07, 05:29 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was the part you bought the same one that comes up on your link?
When I looked up your part# at GE, it showed an entirely different item.
Here is the link to the GE catalog, look at the first item on the page:
[url]https://images.ihscontent.net/MRO_images/Attachments/2002.4/GENELE/GENELEC00006_1_13_1_3.pdf[/url

Call GE technical service.
I went through their website and could not find the installation instructions for their part.
Unfortunately, I am at home and do not have the phone number but will try to get it to you on Wednesday if you can't find it.
]

Old 11-06-07, 07:33 PM
H
Dezwit,

I am much appreciative of your effort. I had previously looked at the GE parts catalog, and the pictures they show are of a related part. The one designated for my panel is the THQLRK2, and the pictures are of the THQLRK and THQLRK1. In fact, I had initially purchased the THQLRK (the one in the photo) on the recommendation of my local wholesaler, but it did not fit either. I then searched the web, found the GE catalog you looked at, and bought the THQLRK2 because that (supposedly) is the correct designated part number.

Again, thanks for all of your help. When I get an answer, I'll be sure to post.

Old 11-13-07, 08:57 AM
H
Solution Found

I worked my way through GE's support system (not too hard, actually) and they e-mailed installation instructions to me. The illustration roughly translates into the following:

1. Shut off power to the panel (I have to state the obvious).
2. Install a double pole breaker in slots 1 and 3.
3. Locate the small plastic peg between the two main power lugs. My terminology may be wrong, but this is where you would feed power if not backfeeding.
4. The hole on the 90 degree tab of the retainer then fits over the plastic peg. Orient the retainer so the upside-down "J" portion fits over the breaker lip.
5. Press a lock washer over the plastic peg. This holds the retainer in place.
6. Feed your cable into the breaker and tighten.
7. Label main power shutoff as required by code.
8. Power on.

The good news, at least from my perspective, is that the installation process is not so obvious that I feel really stupid. Perhaps I should , but I never noticed the peg and the press-down lock washer was missing from the bag. Hopefully GE starts including instructions with their product, which would have made life much easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: