A couple quick conduit/panel questions

Old 11-05-07, 12:05 PM
A couple quick conduit/panel questions

- I ran 1" pvc to my outdoor hot tub and I'd like to use flexible conduit for the last 3 feet or so. I wanted to use the non-metalic liquid tight stuff but I can only find 3/4". Can I use 3/4"? Wiring is 220v / 50amp, three #6 wires and one #8 for ground.

- Where my pvc comes out of the ground along side the house do I need to use one of those expansion joints?

- My outdoor panel (for the hot tub shut off) will be mounted on the side of the house. The wall is poured concrete with 2" rigid foam attached to it. Can I mound the panel directly on this foam or should I cut it away or put a piece of plywood over it or something?

Thanks for the help,
Brent

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by rade0041 View Post
I can only find 3/4". Can I use 3/4"? Wiring is 220v / 50amp, three #6 wires and one #8 for ground.
Yes, you could use 3/4", but it would be a little tight; an electrical supply house can probably get you 1" liquid tight. They carry a lot more stock than the big box stores.

Where my pvc comes out of the ground along side the house do I need to use one of those expansion joints?
Most of the time, an expansion joint would not be required. What is your location/climate?

Can I mound the panel directly on this foam or should I cut it away or put a piece of plywood over it or something?
As long as it's not flimsy, you can mount over the foam with anchors drilled into the concrete. Treated plywood would be okay too.

Old 11-05-07, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Most of the time, an expansion joint would not be required. What is your location/climate?
I live in mid western Wisconsin so it can get pretty cold here.

Old 11-05-07, 03:12 PM
1) 3/4" non-metallic flexible conduit has an allowable fill of
4-#6 THHN so you should be fine. Attach to your conduit with a female adapter.
2) An expansion joint just above ground level wouldn't be a bad idea just because of frost heaving. When you install the expansion joint, make sure you pull it apart until you see the mark and use it at that length.
3) Try hitting the concrete with some long tapcons for a more substantial mounting.