Subpanel or new breaker box help???

Old 11-05-07, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subpanel or new breaker box help???

hello,

I need some help or advice on a wiring question for my apartment/house. basically, I rent a house that is split in half and the other side is rented to another person. My breaker box is located in their apartment, and is a pain to say the least. imagine your power going out, and having to wait until your neighbor comes home to change the breakers. Our apartment is two and a half stories, and seven rooms, but only wired for 60 amp service and uses the old screw in breaker fuses. We definitely would like to add another 60 amp sub panel to the house, to full-fill all electrical needs and then some.

I am in construction by trade, and have done simple household wiring and also changing breakers etc. But what is the easiest way to wire a new sub panel for my situation? It would be pretty impossible to tear through walls or such in my neighbors place. The original box is located basement level and the new sub panel would need to go on the second floor of my place.

Any insight, help or opinions would be most appreciated as we have the most problems with our electrical service with the upcoming winter and electrical heaters tripping the old breakers as most rooms are only setup for 10-15 amps.

Thanks for any/all help.

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 12:28 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
I think I would install new separate 100 amp service to the apartment and wire everything into that. A 60 amp will not meet current code. You will be required to change it if you modify it.

Old 11-05-07, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bring in an electrician. Doing work in a building that is rented, even if you own the building and rent out half, is unwise at best, illegal at worst.

Get three or more quotes from qualified electricians and then go with one that has a good price and gives you a good feeling about their ability to perform the work.