gfci is baffling me

Old 11-09-07, 06:02 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gfci is baffling me

I have installed a new gfci with more recepticles down the line and my problem is that I am not getting any current to the gfci.

I know 100% that i am getting current thru the wires ( checked them with volt meter), and when its fully connected there is no power to the gfci. I do have the gfci wired correctly, and just for the heck of it I did switch the load and line wires and still nothing. Also I got another gfci outlet thinking the 1st one was bad, but what are the chances 2 were bad. (2 different gfcis brands i have tried.).

i tried tripping the reset button and the test button, i have had something plugged into it as well and tried but nothing is working. any ideas out there. thanks

Old 11-09-07, 06:12 PM
R
Have you tried the GFCI with only the LINE wires connected? If you connect the LINE and LOAD wires properly to the GFCI, and if the LINE wires really do have power, but the GFCI won't reset, then you have a problem with the diownstream wiring.

Try the GFCI with nothing plugged in and with only the LINE wires connected.

Old 11-09-07, 07:09 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Make sure that you have the right neutral connected on the line side.

Old 11-10-07, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Don't be offended, but did you press the reset button once it was installed and energized?

Old 11-10-07, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
Don't be offended, but did you press the reset button once it was installed and energized?
I have to agree with Chandler on this one....

These Outlets are shipped from the factory in "TRIPPED" position. They Must be reset prior to use. ( Lived and Learned from a really embarrassing personal experience )

Also... it may take more than a "Finger" to reset them.. Try a small Screwdriver to press it and listen for a definite click.then check for voltage and proper operation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: