sub-panel neutral wiring for transfer switch

Old 11-11-07, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sub-panel neutral wiring for transfer switch

I have a 60amp manual transfer switch that is in effect a sub-panel that will control existing lines in the main service box while selecting either the utility or generator power. The instructions recommend removing the hot leads from the existing breakers in the main box and wire nut to the pre-wired hot leads coming form the sub panel. There is also a pre wired ground and neutral that you are to connect to the main box.
Iím puzzled on why they wired individual neutral lines for each breaker in the sub-panel. They want me to follow the hot lead on the romex and remove the neutral wire from the neutral strip in the main box and wire nut the neutral wire from the sub-panel. I already connected the neutral jumper wire from the main to the sub panel box, so their instrutions seem like allot of extra effort. Why not just leave the neutrals the way they are? The transfer switch doesnít seem to interrupt the neutral supply line.
Thanks in advance, Len

Old 11-11-07, 09:42 AM
R
While it may seem like allot[sic] of extra work, I assure it is NOT extra work. A properly wired sub panel has the neutral wire and the ground wires separated. Sometimes a transfer switch may also have them separated. Further, sometimes a transfer switch will NOT have the neutral continuous and will switch it as well.

Old 11-11-07, 11:32 AM
yup, gotta do it.
Even if it did work, if an inspector ever saw it, they wouldn't be very pleased :P

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: