Electronic Items in a Cabinet

Old 11-11-07, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Electronic Items in a Cabinet

I have 2 30" wide by 24" deep cabinets next to my fireplace (built-ins). There is a formica top on them. Above are two 30" wide by 12" deep wall cabinets. We have a flat panel TV above the fireplace. There is a wall receptacle above the cabinets where the TV gets it's AC feed. The component video wires go thru the wall and come out in the bottom cabinet. I plan to locate the DVD player and an amplifier and CD player in the bottom cabinet.
There is no AC outlet in the wall behind the bottom cabninets in the wall. Can I run an extension cord thru the cabinet bottom, thru the floor to the basement where there is a plug right nearby? If not can I run romex from this basement junction/plug up thru the floor and do a surface mount inside the cabinet? You would be able to see a few inches of the romex.

Old 11-11-07, 02:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You cannot run an extension cord through the floor. Extension cords are not designed to be run inside walls, floors, or in other ares where they cannot dissipate the heat that builds up.

Yes, you can mount a box in the back of the cabinet. No, you cannot have the NM cable exposed. Why don't you do the job right, and place the receptacle flush mounted so that the cable can be routed where it belongs. Depending on what else is on the basement circuit and where it runs, you may or may not be able to tap it for power.

Old 11-11-07, 02:56 PM
Is it acceptable to mount a 4" square box at the rear of the cabinet with the bottom of the box resting on the cabinet bottom, which is really 4" above the floor. I would drill a hole under the box thru the cabinet bottom and then go the 4" to the main floor and drill thru that to the basement. You would not be able to see the NM cable. It would not be in the wall but under the cabinet bottom. Seems like a nit but I want to be code compliant. I thought the extension cord was a dumb idea but thought I would ask.

Old 11-11-07, 02:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That installation would be compliant, as long as you powered the cable from an acceptable location.

Why don't you do the job right, and place the receptacle flush mounted so that the cable can be routed where it belongs.

Old 11-11-07, 03:22 PM
I guess I could but it's a lot more work. First I would have to cut an oversize hole in the back of the cabinet. Then I would have to mount an old work in the drywall. There is also a huge beam right under this wall in the basement with lousy access to drill a hole up into the wall cavity. It can be done but there are also heat ducts in the way. Making a 3/4" hole in the rear bottom of the cabinet straight thru into the basement is a piece of cake. I can reach the wire by fishing in over the heat duct. There is a 4" handibox 3 feet away that has a circuit with only 4 receptacles on it. Guess I'm looking for an easy way out of this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: