Baseboard heater wiring / smoke alarms

Old 11-12-07, 08:38 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heater wiring / smoke alarms

Hello all,
I am new to the site and I know absolutly nothing about electrical. Heres my issue. I am in the process of finishing my basement. My father inlaw is doing all of the electrical because he is an electrician. All electrical has been fine. Recently he installed the Electric basboards. When ever we turn the thermostat on the baseboards start to heat up fine and all seems OK. After about 3 minutes the smoke alarms through out the house start going off. It will do this everytime. Also there is a slight smell of "electrical burning" when this happens. At first we thought it was just the smell of the new heaters but now I am thinking there are some wires crossed somewhere. We ran 220 wiring to a separate 20amp breaker for the heaters. Is it possibly that a wire is getting so hot somewhere and that is what the smell is? Here is the wierd thing. The smoke alarms in the basment do not go off, just the ones from the 2nd and 3rd floor go off. Is it possible that a wire for the baseboard is crossing a the wireing for the smoke alarms and the heat from the baseboard wiring is triggereing the smoke alarms? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Ed

Old 11-12-07, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
I'm going to move this to the electrical forum because it's really an electrical question.

That said, as an electrical worker for 25+ years, a "electrical burning" smell is bad. I would strongly urge you to have an electrician you are not family with take a look at this wiring job.

Your detectors are probably going off because the combustion particles from whatever bad connection you have are rising with the heat in the house.

_Have it properly checked, please..._

Old 11-12-07, 04:54 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would guess that if you check the interconnects, you will find that the basement smokes are not tied in with the other floors as they should be.

Old 11-12-07, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He's asking if the burning smell from the heaters are causing the alarms to go off.

He needs to tell us how the heaters are wired up and the voltage/amp specs of the device.

Old 11-12-07, 06:16 PM
R
I suspect that the heaters are burning off the excess paint from manufacture and/or dust that has settled in them, perhaps from construction, and that the hot air rising is taking the smell to the upstairs smoke detectors.

Then either these smoke detectors are not wired into the ones upstairs or they are not working. Note that there may not be a requirement that they be wired into the ones upstairs.

Old 11-12-07, 06:44 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Per NFPA 72 - The National Fire Alarm Code:
Article 11.5.1(3) - Requires smoke/heat alarms on all levels of dwellings including the basement.
Article 11.5.2.1.1 - Requires alarms in dwellings to be arranged so that if one alarm sounds, they all sound.

Old 11-13-07, 04:22 AM
R
dezwit,

Those rules apply for new construction. Only in a few places does a renovation require connecting new smoke alarms to any existing setup. Be careful about making assumptions that may not be correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: