junction box in attic

Old 11-12-07, 02:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
junction box in attic

I was watching this old house today and they were talking about a house that had a safety hazard. The house had a junction box in the attic covered by insulation and then plywood. Now I might not understood what they were saying but is it against code to have an enclosed junction box with insulation around it? I have two junction boxes that were in my house when I bought it, both of them have covers on them but both of them are covered by insulation. I never thought twice about this because I don't see a difference between that and a junction box for a light.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-07, 03:16 PM
R
The insulation is not the issue. The plywood covering is. It is against code to have a junction box that is not permanently accessible. Permanently accessible means, among other things, that you do not have to disassemble any portion of the structure to access the box.

Old 11-12-07, 03:35 PM
B
so my two boxes that are fully covered by insulation but have no plywood over them are ok?

Old 11-12-07, 03:40 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Your boxes are good.

Old 11-12-07, 04:22 PM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
While I don't disagree with the code requirements for access to Jboxes, I've never considered it a safety issue. I've always thought of it as a convenience to anyone working on the circuit to have easy access.

Old 11-12-07, 04:40 PM
R
The code is all about safety.

Old 11-12-07, 10:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I almost laughed at that same episode when the safety expert said the wire connections were unsafe because the wires were not twisted before the wire nuts were put on. Guess he has never hung out here.

Old 11-13-07, 04:51 AM
B
I am glad somone else saw the episode and saw what I was talking about. I can def see that the box needs access but the way they made it sound was that no insulation can touch the box....

Old 11-13-07, 05:11 AM
R
The problem with a hidden junction box is that eventually someone will forget where it is. Or an electrician will come in and have no idea there is a box somewhere. Or the house will be sold and the new owner will not know there is a box.

If the connection remains sound and no changes to the circuit are necessary, this is not a big deal. But connections do separate, and changes are made. Now someone has to remember or realize that there is a junction box somewhere and then has to find it.

Old 11-13-07, 05:32 AM
B
I agree with the code. When I bought my house I had a finished basement. When I checked one of the plugs I saw there was an open ground, long behold I found that the whole circuit line had an open ground. I started to trace and follow the wire (thank god they put a suspended ceiling in) and found it going down a wall. Well I ended up having to open up the wall and long behold there was a box, no cover and the grounds just hanging out in the box. Needless to say I was not happy by this type of work. After that I ended up checking the whole house for other homeowners specials, I found them but not in the electrical dept.