Troubleshooting 3-Way Motion sensor switch

Old 11-12-07, 10:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting 3-Way Motion sensor switch

One light at top of basement stairs. A three-way circuit, switch #1 at bottom of stairs, switch #2 at top of stairs.

Trying to replace switch #2 with a motion-sensor switch. (Here's the wiring diagram http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catal...es/wdpr180.gif)

I have installed new sensor switch at switch #2 and am 98% confident that I have all wiring completed correctly--power enters through switch #1, and I've attached the jumper wires there as the diagram requests. But it still isn't working right....

When switch #1 is down, the motion sensor (switch #2) works correctly and light turns on for 15 seconds when you walk by it and then turns (and stays) off until you walk by it again.

When I flip switch #1 up, the light turns on for 15 seconds, then turns off automatically, then the little led on the sensor that blinks on when you walk in front of it blinks on as if it were sensing someone and the overhead light turns on again for 15 seconds. Then turns off again, for a second, then the sensor acts as if it is seeing someone again and turns the light back on for 15 seconds, etc, etc, over and over. I am observing this from down the stairs. There is no motion or anything that should be setting of the detector.

And when I flip #1 back down, the light lights for 15 seconds, goes off automatically, then stays off until someone walks the sensor, at which it works perfectly, then turns off again and stays dark.

I've already exchanged the sensor switch for a new one, thinking the switch was faulty, but the new one does the same thing. The bulb it is controlling is a CF, but I tried an incandescent bulb and the symptom persisted.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-13-07, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Not really sure of their diagram for the three way switch. Normally the black screw (common) is at the bottom of one side and the travelers are at the top. Confirm this. Your line should enter the 3 way on the black switch. Is the switch on the remote control set at the proper setting? Is it rated as a 3 way switch?

Old 11-13-07, 04:29 AM
R
Check all your connections. If you don;t get this type of switch right, it will not work. I suspect a wiring error.

Old 11-13-07, 09:44 PM
B
thanks

Thanks for your thoughts...I will recheck wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: