Electrical box for bathroom vanity

Old 11-13-07, 07:30 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical box for bathroom vanity

Hi!
I am remodeling our bathroom, and once I removed the old vanity light I discoverd there is no electrical box containing the wiring, it is just hanging there. I need to install a box that is suitable for a relatively heavy light fixture(my guess would be around 10 lbs?) in a plaster wall. The walls, lath included, are probably 1 inch thick.
Would a plastic "old work" box be strong enough, particularly since I only have one stud to nail to? Or should I go with an octagonal box but use the brace bars and just open up the wall more? The new fixture is small but has 4 light to it, and the wiring for four lights.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 07:39 AM
R
Many bathroom vanity fixtures have an internal electrical box as part of their design. If yours has a box, then nothing else is needed. If it does not then you need to install a box. Ten pounds is heavy, and you should not try to use an old work box. Old work boxes do not attach to studs. I would open the wall and attach an octagonal box to the studs.

Old 11-13-07, 08:15 AM
W
Thank you for the fast reply. Let me ask you this, if i connect the octagonal box to the stud, on one side only, will that be strong enough to support the fixture? Would it be wise to use brace bars between the studs?

Old 11-13-07, 08:59 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You may be able to use a fan box and only have to cut an opening large enough for the box. That would save patching. But be aware pipes may make this impossible. (Yes, fan boxes are normally mounted horizontal but I see no reason they won't work verticle in this case.)

Old 11-13-07, 03:14 PM
D
Once you have the box in place can you simply support the fixture with screws through the back into the lath?
What type of fixture is it? (Description please).
This way you can use an old work box for the wiring and not have to worry about the box supporting the weight of the fixture.
If it is an outlet box with #6 screws, you are not allowed to use it to support a wall mounted fixture that weighs more than six pounds anyway.