Help deciding which circut to use for new outlet!!

Old 11-13-07, 07:16 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am installing at 26 flat panel tv in the kitchen onto the wall, I am also placing a small computer next to it so the tv can receive internet. I have to wire a new outlet for the tv and (maybe) a new outlet for the computer.

I have 3 circuits to choose from to get the power from:

#1 20Amp, with Dishwasher and 1 kitchen counter outlet on it.
#2 20Amp, with garbage disposal only on it. (10.2amps 1hp disposal)
Or
#3 20Amp, with 2 dining room outlets, 1 bar outlet, 2 kitchen island outlets, 1 kitchen counter outlet (From where I would pull the power from), 2 deck lights, and 1 shoe room outlet.

#3 would be the easiest to tap into, followed by #2, and then #1. I could run the computer off the same outlet as the dishwasher (#1) is plugged into, thereby only having to add one more wall outlet to plug the wall mounted tv into.

ANY Suggestions from which source/circuit I should pull the power from to do this? THANKS!

Old 11-13-07, 07:46 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First of all, #1 and #3 are not proper circuits.
The 20 amp circuits that are required for the kitchen and dining room are not allowed to have anything else connected to them (with a few exceptions) but lights and dishwashers are not choices.
I guess your only choice is #2 which is not a good choice because of the load already connected (the motor load).
You need to find choice #4.

Old 11-13-07, 07:48 PM
C
None of them. They are mostly improperly laid out as it is.

I'd put the DW on the disposal circuit, or its own

split the DR from the kitchen, perhaps putting it on the separate circuit the other counter outlet is on (formerly with DW).

I'd like the computer/TV on its own circuit.

Old 11-13-07, 11:50 PM
P

thanks for the input!
these are the only 3 choices, I can not run new wire to box. and my fourth option, if i listed what was on there, you would probably like it the least.

From the 2 response i read the following:

i could plug the dishwasher into the same outlet the garbage disposal is on/C#2 - these two items would then be the only things on it; and then use C#1 for the new tv/computer outlet, as well as one existing counter outlet - which would then be the only items on C#1.
OR
I could use C#2, (with the disposal on it), and wire a new outlet for tv/computer from this line - which would then have only these items on C#2.

?? > Any preference between these two options????????

((ps - was not sure what DR stood for in Ccat's notes))

Thanks!

Old 11-14-07, 04:23 AM
R
Of course you can run a new wire from the panel. You may not want to, but you can do it. This is the most appropriate solution for a computer and a flat screen television, a dedicated circuit.

As the others have stated, none of these circuits are legal as they now exist. If you made them this way, you should not have done so.

I would combine the dishwasher with the disposal, and then tackle the other violations.

Old 11-14-07, 05:30 AM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
Just for arguments sake could the TV and computer not be consider counter appliances and be plugged into those circuits? They are still in the kitchen.

Old 11-14-07, 05:57 AM
R
Yes, these devices can go on a counter top circuit, and a dedicated circuit would be considered a small appliance circuit, as it is serving the kitchen. My reason for recommending a dedicated circuit is because I would do so in my own house and I would not want them on the same circuit as my toaster oven, or coffee maker, or electric frying pan.

Old 11-14-07, 07:59 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
An electric frying pan?
You must be as old as me.
I happened to say something about an electric frying pan to one of our apprentices the other day and he looked at me like I had two heads.

Old 11-14-07, 12:04 PM
P

outside of running a new wire/circuit - there is no way to run a new wire unless i ran it on the outside of the house (i hate wires strung all over the outside of a house/ ie cable/telephone), its a 3 story house and the kitchen is in the middle, additionally this particular area has a glass ceiling above it, so again i could not fish anything between the floors.

i did not wire the house this way, built 1978; i spent 5 ours tracing each circuit in the panel and making a table on my computer so i know exactly which circuit controls which switches/outlets etc. - i could post it here, but after what you are saying about the kitchen....... maybe i should UP my insurance! lol.

i am surmising now that the best route would be to plug the dishwasher into the garbage disposal outlet, C1; and run the tv/computer off of C2 - and tell the wife not to use the one countertop outlet (onC2) to plug in any electric frying pans!! lol.

Agreed?

Old 11-14-07, 01:29 PM
P
reply - edit

can see where i can edit my last post;

dishwasher says 15amps and as noted, disposal says 10.2 amps

under the new confirguration (see last reply post) both of these together would be on C#1 with a 20amp breaker.

Old 11-14-07, 01:51 PM

The replacement for an electric frying pan is a paninni press, or if your wife goes to garage sales, a George Foreman grill.

A computer that is an island without a router, modem, printer, speakers, etc.?

Dick

Old 11-14-07, 02:27 PM
R
Of course you can run a new wire from the panel. You may not want to, and it may not be easy, but you can do it. This is the most appropriate solution for a computer and a flat screen television, a dedicated circuit.

I doubt the dishwasher says it must be on a 15 amp circuit. If it does, then it is no on a proper circuit now. I doubt the dishwasher draws 15 amps.

The dishwasher most likely says it must be on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.

If you refuse to run a new circuit for the computer and television, then probably putting the dishwasher and disposal on the same circuit (C2) is the best alternative. I do not like this idea. You would then add the tv and computer as a new counter top receptacle (C1).

At some point C3 needs to cleaned up and made code legal.

Old 11-14-07, 03:48 PM
P

in the manual for the DW it says electrial rating is 15amps (bosch).

it says (in the manual) it should be on its own 15amp breaker (its currently on a 20); however 'if one plugs it in with the disposal then a 20amp breaker and "no higher" breaker may be used'.

i just wanted to make sure it was going to be 'ok' pluged in with the GDisposal as the disposal says it draws 10.1amp. 95% of the time the two are not on at the same time anyway, however i know that you are not supposed to look at things in that manner.

i pulled out the DW today (picking up TV tomorrow). looks like things may be easier than first thought; (NOW) i can plug the DW into the outlet of the Gdisposal (C#2 -20amp), (cord is long enough) and i can plug a surge protector into the DW outlet (C#1-20amp) to reach where the cords for the TV (after i run it down the wall) as well as the computer will be.

Racraft- I wish i could look to clean up C#3 but doing that is over my head..... i still have no idea how i woud run a new wire to the box, unless i cut a bunch of sheet rock and i hate sheet rock work, so that is not going to happen. lol.

As to Dick's question/comment below/ i have DishNetwork, so no need for a converter box at this location - only needs the remote; i have wireless internet - clearwire, it runs through a router upstairs = use a wireless internet abdaptor in the kitchen computer for the internet signal; speaker = TV (sony26"); keyboard and mouse = wireless; printer - well i dont have wireless printer, but if i do need to print i will just email my self and print it off upstairs!

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-14-07, 07:15 PM
If I'm following this right, the circuit you're going to use to feed the TV and computer won't have anything else on it except for one countertop outlet. It's important that you do not have any large motorized appliances on the same circuit. Sensitive electronics like computers and modern TVs are fairly easily damaged by power line problems. While all electronics ought to have some surge protection, unless you pay a lot for a very nice UPS it's not going to handle the power quality problems created by say, that garbage disposal. Put it another way, it'd probably be cheaper to pay someone to run a new line, cutting into the walls and all that, than replacing your computer after it gets fried by noise from a big appliance. Separated is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: