Running Electrical Wiring

Old 11-14-07, 06:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Electrical Wiring

I'm putting a 12 X 12 shed in my back yard and I was hoping to receive some feedback to two questions:

1) I'm not qulaified nor am I attempting to run electricity to my shed but I do want to have it done. What could I expect to pay to have power ran from my power panel about 20 - 30feet to the shed? Shed will contain overhead lighting and maybe three receptacle boxes.

2) Would there be a need to have a 220 outlet in the shed? I can't think of one right now but I'm trying to avoid the "shoot, I wish I would've had that done...."

Thanks for your feedback.

Terry

Old 11-14-07, 07:04 AM
R
The cost for this will vary. Get three estimates. You may be able to shave some money off the cost by digging the trench yourself.

Only you can decide if 240 might ever be needed. Do you do anything that uses tools that might be 240 volts? Wood working? Automotive work?

If you think 240 volts might be needed, then you could use conduit for the run. With conduit the wires can be changed without the need to re-trench. Or you could run larger wire (and a fourth wire) now, but still use them for a single 120 volt circuit.

Old 11-14-07, 07:50 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Shed Wiring

You do not show your location in your profile. If you live where the winters are chilly, you may want a 220 circuit for an electric heater. Just a thought.

Old 11-15-07, 03:22 PM
C
If you want to future proof today, get a 12 circuit main panel, feeding it with 50A. That way, you can easily just add that 220 receptical or heater if need be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: