Wiring for incandescent light bulb fixture

Old 11-14-07, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for incandescent light bulb fixture

Hello there,

I have a incandescent light bulb fixture in my basement that has a broken switch and needs replacing. When I opened up the wiring to the fixture, I saw that there were 2 main wires that were exactly the same that were running to the fixture. Each main wire, had a black, white and ground wire. The two black wires were attached to one end of the fixture and the two white wires were attached to the other end of the light fixture. The two ground wires were attached to the same grounding point. The other lights in the basement only have one main wire containing one black, one white and one ground wire running to their fixtures. Why does this particular fixture have two main power sources running to the light? Would the light still work if I only hooked up on of the wires and left the other unattached?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-07, 09:19 AM
Why does this surprise you? If how you describe the wiring is accurate, then there is more than one light on the switch.

I guess by switch you mean the pull chain switch, and you are replacing the entire light fixture. Just connect the wires as they were connected to the old fixture.

Old 11-14-07, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is a pull chain switch then this probably only supplies an aways hot lead to another light or receptacle. Had these switches go bad but normally just screwed in a receptacle tap with a built in switch. (Not to use the receptacles of course, just for the switch function.)

Old 11-14-07, 10:32 AM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
One set if wires is the power coming into the fixture. The other set of wires is the power going out to another fixture. The fixtures with only one set of wires are at the end of the run and don't feed any other fixtures.

Old 11-14-07, 12:09 PM
Would the light still work if I only hooked up on of the wires and left the other unattached?
50/50 chance, depending on which pair you hooked up. But either way, something else would stop working.

We get a lot of questions like, "Why did my bedroom lights quit working when I changed my dining room light fixture?"