Recessed mounting of an outdoor receptacle

Old 11-17-07, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed mounting of an outdoor receptacle

I am planning to mount an outdoor receptacle and am debating between surface mount and recessed mount.

I understand that if I surface mount, I screw through the back of the box into my wood siding. However if I recess mount, how is the box attaced? In order to recess the box, I will be cutting through the siding and the fire blocks, which means the box can be pushed all the way into the basement.

However, how do I secure the box to the exterior wall if I have cut away the backing support for the box?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 08:35 AM
If you want the box flush mount, you would buy an "old work" box. These boxes come with tabs on them that prevent the box from falling into the wall. The trick is to cut the hole the right size for the box but not too big so the ears will catch.

Now that the box will not fall into the wall to keep it from comming back out you can use F straps, or clips that mount on to the side of the box. Many old work boxes have the mounting clips built in.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/r...515,11516,2013

Often the boxes will come with a template so that you can be sure to cut your hole the correct size.

Old 11-17-07, 08:42 AM
Here's a product that might fill the bill.
Arlington Industries has products for electrical devices mounted on and in siding.
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew73.htm
It also eliminates the problem of properly sealing around the plate after installation and allowing water into the box or onto the sheathing behind the siding.
See also:
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew74.htm
These products are a heck of alot easier to use and properly install than an old work box.

Old 11-17-07, 10:42 AM
Thanks for both replies.

Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
...Many old work boxes have the mounting clips built in.

J,

I assume, based on this recommendation, that it is OK to use a box that is not waterproof, if it is mounted recessed? Or, is this waterproof?

Last edited by GaetanoL; 11-17-07 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 11-17-07, 12:16 PM
You may use an old work box, but you must use a waterproof cover. In most cases it must be an in use cover.

Old 11-17-07, 05:23 PM
If you are cutting into siding and don't want to use an Arlington product, you should cut it in sideways so that your cover fits flush against the siding in order to seal it properly.

Old 11-18-07, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by dezwit View Post
If you are cutting into siding...
My house is covered by T1-11.

Old 01-27-08, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
If you want the box flush mount, you would buy an "old work" box. These boxes come with tabs on them that prevent the box from falling into the wall. The trick is to cut the hole the right size for the box but not too big so the ears will catch.

Now that the box will not fall into the wall to keep it from comming back out you can use F straps, or clips that mount on to the side of the box. Many old work boxes have the mounting clips built in.

Often the boxes will come with a template so that you can be sure to cut your hole the correct size.

I started this thread some time ago, but I am now working on mounting my box.

How is the in-use cover attached to an old work box, like the one shown here? I don't think the holes in the in-use cover line up with any of the holes in an ENT box.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-08, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You screw your receptacle into the box as normal, then the in use cover will screw into the holes in the receptacle.

Old 01-27-08, 03:25 PM
Right, that makes sense. So, the cover screws into the holes that the plate would normally go into.

Thanks.