Wall Oven Wiring 4 to 3 wires??

Old 11-17-07, 06:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wall Oven Wiring 4 to 3 wires??

I just bought a new Fagor wall oven. Took out the old Caloric, and it's the typical 4 wire setup in my home. Black, Red, White and Ground. The new oven is rated 240v 60hz, 3600w. The problem is the oven only has 3 wires!! Black, White and Green. Do I tie both Black and Red from my breaker to the black wire, white to white and green to ground? The manual says black is phase, white is neutral, and green is ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 06:42 AM
R
You are reading or interpreting something wrong.

If you connect the black and red wires from the wall together, you will trip your breaker.

Your oven is 240 volts, therefor it only needs two hot wires. The black and white from the oven are hot wires, the green is the ground.

In the wall you have a 240/120 setup. The black wire and the red wire are hot, the white wire is the neutral and the other wire (bare, probably) is the ground.

Your oven does not need a neutral, so you put a wuire nut over the neutral wire and do not use it.

Old 11-17-07, 08:07 AM
B
Thank you! So, are the "power" wires in European appliances interchangeable? Even though the white wire is listed as "neutral" it is the other power carrying wire, along with the black? I have verified the green is ground, it has continuity with the metal chassis.

What I'm saying is I am still a bit nervous to connect both power (black and red) to the black and white oven wires because they call black "phase" and white "neutral".

Old 11-17-07, 08:24 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by boder96 View Post
Thank you! So, are the "power" wires in European appliances interchangeable?
Are you trying to use a European appliance in a North American house? If so, I think it would be okay to connect wall black to oven black, wall red to oven white, cap off wall white, connect wall green to oven green. Understand however, that European appliances may not be listed for use on the North American system and could be damaged or function incorrectly. Contacting the manufacturer's engineering department would be a good idea.

What I'm saying is I am still a bit nervous to connect both power (black and red) to the black
You should be -- it will create a short circuit. Do not connect black and red together.

Old 11-17-07, 08:48 AM
B
Thanks guys, for your help. I took the back off the oven and the green definitely goes to ground, black and white are "hot". I am capping off the old white neutral from my breaker.

I guess most wall ovens are coming this way now, just two hots and a ground.

Old 11-17-07, 10:12 AM
Actually it's just the opposite, any 240 oven/range made for sale in the US is required to be 4-wire. That's been in place for several years now. You've just got a funky Euro model. In the olden days major appliances weren't required to be grounded, which is less safe. Your Euro model has a ground, it's just that in Europe standard two-wire circuits are 240V instead of 120. So their light inside the oven is 240V, whereas ours need the neutral to get 120.

Old 11-17-07, 11:19 AM
R
A 240 volt appliance needs no neutral. Therefor they don't put one on.

A 120/240 volt appliance needs a neutral.