Attach overhead cable to garage

Old 11-17-07, 07:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attach overhead cable to garage

I a homeowner with a 1-car detached garage located about 30' from the house. There is a dedicated 20A circuit to the garage. The cable to the garage is 12-2 with ground outdoor rated romex installed overhead. My question is about how the overhead cable should be attached to the house and the garage. Right now there is an eye bolt at each side of the overhead span and the 12-2 romex is tied in an overhand knot through the eye bolt. This does not seem right. I was looking at wedge clamps, but those seem to be designed for a single conductor at the service entrance. If I install Romex into a wedge clamp it seems that there is a risk of wear and arc fault.

Page 118 of Wiring Simplified (41st ed.) has a diagram showing an entrance cap with what looks like a porcelain knob anchor with some kind of wire anchoring the cable. The thing is, I don't understand what that wire is or the correct way to install. Can anyone explain? I want this to be correct and safe. Thank you.

Old 11-17-07, 09:06 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
You should have a steel cable "messenger wire" which is anchored to each structure securely. The cable should be lashed to the messenger wire with several wraps of smaller gauge wire along the supported length. Note that the cable must also carry a sunlight/UV rating; not all underground cables have UV rating.

The other alternative is to purchase some triplex cable which comes pre-twisted around a messenger wire and has the appropriate ratings for overhead outdoor use. Splice the triplex to the building wiring at each side.

Does your overhead wiring meet the height requirements?

Old 11-19-07, 08:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for your reply and the helpful information. That makes a-lot of sense.

I think I am going to go with a steel cable messenger wire. The only triplex I can find is pretty large gauge. My existing cable has UV rating and it meets height requirements (above 10').

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: