Practicing Loop, Perfect Enough?

Old 11-19-07, 12:45 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Practicing Loop, Perfect Enough?

My DIY electrical book says there must not be any nicks or scratches from needle nose pliers when making loops in wire for grounding screws. My pliers must be really crappy because they make the copper look all torn up.

Instead I'm using wire cutter/strippers, with the loop forming holes, and I've perfected it to the point where I can get a good size loop with just one tiny mark. There is one impression on the inside of the loop from where it bends around the tool. Just a line, I wouldn't call it a scratch. Is this good enough? I want to be happy with this result, but perfectionism keeps tripping me up.

Old 11-19-07, 05:33 AM
J
Received 441 Votes on 367 Posts
You are being too particular.

Old 11-19-07, 08:17 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I think what the book means is that you shouldn't use needle-nose to strip the wires, because that often leaves a big gouge or partial cut in the copper. As far as looping goes, needle-nose are fine just don't smash the copper flat. Surface scratches are not a problem. Copper is so much softer than steel it would be impossible to use a steel tool without leaving some mark in the copper.

Old 11-19-07, 08:51 AM
Consider what happens to that copper wire when you MASH it under a screw!!!!

A few years ago an older gentleman gave me a screwdriver with a small pin in the handle, for making loops, it worked great. since then It has gotten lost, and I was curious if anyone still makes them?

Old 11-19-07, 09:51 AM
C
Go to your local electrical distributor and look at the Kline brand. They make the screwdrivers you are looking for, and they are indeed very handy.

Old 11-19-07, 11:25 AM
R
Yes I definitely am too particular. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: