New outlet for undersink hot water dispenser

Old 11-19-07, 02:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New outlet for undersink hot water dispenser

I would like to install an instant hot water dispenser under my kitchen sink. The existing outlet under the sink is for the garbage disposal and both sides of the outlet are switched. The sink is on a peninsula counter and there is an outlet on the wall on the opposite side (within the same space as where I could put a new outlet). A plumber was over giving me an estimate on another job ($4500 to install a water softener - i threw him out lol) and said that I could fish a wire from the appliance outlet on the other side of the wall and use it for the hot water dispenser. I don't trust his opinion. More importantly, neither does my wife.

Is it code to use the appliance outlet from the adjacent living area (if I thought it was, it'd be done by now!) If so, do I need to install a GFI under the sink? An alternative would be to go into the wall and tap into either the garbage disposal circuit or another GFI appliance circuit that serves the outlets on either side of the sink.

Here is an overview of the layout. There is a hardwired dishwasher to the left of the sink. To the left of the dishwasher is a corner cabinet, above which is a 2 gang box with 2 switches; one for a single overhead can light and the other for the garbage disposal. The GFI appliance circuit comprises 3 outlets running along the same wall as the dishwasher and sink.

We will eventually be putting in a new counter top and tiling the small area between the backsplash and the countertop that runs the length of the peninsula, but I would prefer to not have to get into the drywall.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-07, 03:07 PM
R
I donl;t think you can use this circuit, if I interpret what you have stated as I think I do.

More importantly, instant hot water devices almost always require a dedicated circuit.

Old 11-19-07, 04:51 PM
M
Thanks. According to the folks at In Sink Erator I do not need a dedicated circuit (these devices usually share the garbage disposal circuit if the outlet is wired to be halfhot/half switched). They also state that I do not need to use a GFI, but that confuses me since this circuit is obviously close to water. Am I missing something? Come to think of it, is the garbage disposal circuit a GFI circuit (the outlet isn't GFI)?

So, if I don't need a dedicated circuit, can I use the most convenient circuit, which is the 15 A appliance outlet circuit for the adjacent room? If not, what would you recommend?

Old 11-19-07, 06:47 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
What is the wattage of the heater? GFCI protection is optional, but not required for built-in appliances such as disposals and water heaters. These types of appliances have been designed to function and fail safely without the GFCI protection.

Old 11-19-07, 06:49 PM
R
No, you cannot use a small appliance circuit.

If their instructions allow, you can share the garbage disposal circuit.

Nothing under the sink is required by code to be GFCI protected. It is NOT close proximity to water that triggers the requirement.

Old 11-19-07, 07:49 PM
M
Thanks for clearing up the GFCI question/ignorance.

The hot water dispenser is 750 W, 6.5A. The garbage disposal is 1 HP (10.2A), but is on 20A circuit. How about the dishwasher circuit (also 20A).The dishwasher uses a total of 9.6A. Can I add a junction box behind the dishwasher and then run cable from that to the sink compartment to wire a new recepticle?

It may be that the best choice is to go into the drywall and tap into the garbage disposal circuit, but if I can avoid that and keep the circuit code, I'd prefer to.

Last edited by meschesm; 11-19-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 10:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
80% of 20a=16a Yout looking at close to 17a before you add in the starting current for the garbage disposer. I'd say you need a new circuit.

Old 11-19-07, 11:38 PM
Not sure why the 80% comes into play since neither of those devices are continuous loads. At any rate, the OP said the dishwasher and garbage disposal are on separate circuits.

The 20A dishwasher circuit still has 10.4A available, so plenty of capacity left for the 6.5A water dispenser. So yes, a junction box behind the dishwasher would be an option, dishwasher-manufacturer permitting.

There was mention of a "15A appliance outlet circuit" from an adjacent room. While it is true that you may not use a small appliance circuit, this 15A circuit is likely a general purpose circuit, not a small appliance circuit. Anyway I wouldn't use it in this case regardless of whether you technically could or not.

Old 11-20-07, 05:19 AM
R
You have a large disposal. Do not tap into it's circuit.

You could tap the dishwasher circuit, but I would not. I would run a new circuit.

Old 11-20-07, 05:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just used the 80% as rule of thumb to give a bit of breathing room to prevent trips on a possibly "tired" breaker

Old 11-20-07, 08:56 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
It would be okay to put the heater on the dishwasher circuit as long as the dishwasher install instructions do not mandate a dedicated circuit. Most dishwashers allow a shared circuit. A new circuit is probably the ideal option, but this solution is acceptable.

Old 11-20-07, 12:15 PM
F
Use the garbage disposal circuit and install an Insinkerator air-actuated disposal switch. This will supply power to the hot water dispenser 99.9% of the time and let you turn on the disposal the other 0.1%. It's what it's made for, to save running an extra circuit to power those two devices; we have one on our disposer/hot water dispenser.

Old 11-20-07, 02:12 PM
M
Thanks for all the responses! Yes, the 15A circuit is a general purpose circuit, but I agree that it shouldn't be used (too bad, its the most accessible). The dishwasher installation instructions don't demand a separate circuit, they do recommend one though.

If I go with the dishwasher circuit, how should I run the cable from the dishwasher junction box to a new recepticle in the sink cabinet next to the dishwasher, in the wall or along the wall and through the side of the cabinet? What cable should I use? Is conduit necessary?

I've seen references to the air-actuated switch. If I use the garbage disposal circuit, I'll install one of those. Should I install a new receptacle, or can I run the cable to the existing receptacle and isolate the two outlets?

Again, thanks for all the input. These questions just aren't covered in any of the books I've found.