Problem connecting electricity and cable

Old 11-19-07, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem connecting electricity and cable

Here is the short story:
I bought a TV tuner so I could watch TV on my computer monitor. When I hooked up the cable and the power to the tuner, the circuit was tripped in my apartment. So I made sure the tuner worked properly (it does) and then I went out and bought a special surge protecter with coaxial plugs. Plug the cable and power into that, same thing happens. I had charter come out and check the cable and there are no issues with that. Since I checked the cable and I checked the surge protector, the only thing left is the electricity.

Does anyone know what would cause the circuit to be tripped despite me having a surge protector? I have been harassing my landlady for two weeks and she still hasn't given me the number of the electrician who wired our apartments.

I have tried almost everything and I have spent hours on the phone with different places trying to figure out the cause of this problem. Any help would be appreciated because if I can't use the tuner I am going to sell it and get my money back.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-07, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I moved your thread into the electrical forum where we got the pro's to help you out. Good luck.

Old 11-19-07, 06:41 PM
What type of breaker (is it an Arc Fault or Ground Fault breaker)? What else is wired into this circuit? Does anything else cause the breaker to trip? What is the amperage rating on the breakerwhich keeps tripping?
What is the wattage of the TV tuner?
We really need more info before we can help.

Old 11-19-07, 06:46 PM
Received 86 Votes on 79 Posts
Probably a grounding issue between the cable, your apartment wiring or the cable amp installed in the building.

Measure for voltage between the cable ground and you electrical system.

Old 12-02-07, 09:58 PM
Tuner?

Is this an external tuner, or one that goes inside your computer? I had an internal TV tuner that fried a wire on the circuit board when I hooked audio up to it (I fixed it with double stick tape and aluminum foil and it worked!). If it goes inside your computer and shorts, your computer would shut down before the branch circuit breaker would trip. Check the polarity of the outlet; maybe it's wired backwards and grounding through the cable. Is it a GFI circuit? Maybe enough current leaks into the cable to trip it. Just throwing ideas out there; I have no qualifications whatsoever.