Fastening wires to Metal Studs

Old 11-20-07, 11:16 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fastening wires to Metal Studs

Dear Sir,

I am doing electrical wiring for my basement. I have used metal studs. I couldnt find any standoffs for clamping the wires to the studs in Lowes or Home Depot. But I got some adhesive backed pad and a tie wrap that could be used along with this. The adhesive pad also can be fixed with screws. Do you think this will pass the electrical code. I live in NJ.

Do we have any limitations of number of wires per tie wrap?

The electrical inspector seems to be very busy and he didnt give specifics but he mentioned tie wrap is one way to fasten it.

Old 11-20-07, 12:37 PM
If he said tie wrap is a way to do it, then that is the way to go if you can't find anything else.

I'd use the screw-down ones, I doubt a sticky pad would be acceptable in any jurisdiction.

You can get screws for metal studs at any hardware store. The self-drilling/tapping ones with the hex heads work well for me.

As for how many you can put under a tie-wrap, I don't know.
However, I would just try to make it look neat, and I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 11-20-07, 03:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Nothing else matters but what the inspector thinks. He suggested tie wraps, that's what I'd use.

Old 11-20-07, 07:14 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can secure to a metal stud by putting an 11" tyrap around the stud and the cable.
If you want, then wrap a tyrap around the cable and secure it to the first tyrap in the middle of the stud.
There's no need to get carried away with pads, self-tapping screws, etc.

Old 11-21-07, 05:30 AM
J
Panduit makes stuff for metal stud installs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: