Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Remodeling my kitchen, I have aluminum wire, trouble? Also, service upgrade ?'s

Old 11-21-07, 07:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in PA and my house was built in '72, right in the middle of the short lived aluminum wire craze. I'm having everything in my kitchen replaced...cabinets, floor, cutting out a wall, and adding lighting. I know that I need to add GFIs, is this aluminum wire going to cause me a code problem? I have been careful to use only cadmium plated plugs, recepticals, and switches, I'm not sure that they even make them anymore.

Also, I have a 100A service and an underground entrance feed. Can I add a sub panel, or do I need to uprade the entire panel? All existing GE Pushmatic breakers are full, I have even added 1/2 sized breakers over the years. If I upgrade the service, does that mean the entrance cable needs dug up? I have gas appliances, but I do have a 2.5 ton A/C unit and a 6 hp air compressor on 220V.

Old 11-21-07, 08:21 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRod53F100 View Post
is this aluminum wire going to cause me a code problem?
In my opinion, your remodel is extensive enough to require replacement of the wiring. Chances are, the existing circuits are not capable of meeting the code for kitchen small appliance circuits anyway, so replacing them with copper is the only solution. You'll need at least two 20A small appliance circuits which serve the coutertop, kitchen, dining and pantry receptacles; circuits for built-in appliances such as dishwasher, disposal, microwave; and additional circuit(s) for lighting.

Also, I have a 100A service and an underground entrance feed. Can I add a sub panel, or do I need to uprade the entire panel?
You need to do a "demand load calculation" to know for sure if your existing service is adequate. A kitchen remodel is often a trigger for a service upgrade, but will all gas appliances your old one may be sufficient with a subpanel added for more space. Search google or a good book on home wiring for the calculation procedure.

Old 11-21-07, 08:30 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Aluminum wiring is not a code violation. You are required to use ALU rated devices or install proper copper pigtails to everything. Cadmium plating means nothing. The device needs to have a ALU rating.

Old 11-21-07, 02:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice... Joed I thought that the ALU rated devices had cadmium plated terminals, that's why they were rated that way???

Admitedly I'm not an electrician, that's why I ask those of you who are more qualified, I appreciate the help!

Old 11-21-07, 03:42 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
They might. But just having a cadmium coating does not make them ALU rated. They must be stamped with the rating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: