Meat grinder motor

Old 11-22-07, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Meat grinder motor

Hello, i purchased a 1/2hp Emerson general purpose motor to connect to my meat grinder. The motor is 230 volts, 4.4 amps, reversible and has 3 connections coming out of it, two reds and a green. To reverse it, it says to switch the two red wires. I want to hook it up to a on/off/on momentary toggle switch. It is a double pole toggle switch that can handle a 1 1/2 hp motor or 277v and 10 amps. The toggle switch says to wire the two hots on the outside poles and then a line in the middle pole, im assuming that means the ground, right? Then hook up a cord the same way on the other side of the toggle switch and plug it in. Is that all i need to do, or am i missing something? Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-07, 09:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Green is ground and is never switched. Switching the two red wires would only work if it was three phase but then you would have to have a fourth lead from the motor (3 hots and a ground). I'm guessing the motor is internally reversible but you can't do it with the number of leads you have. (Of course I could be wrong so wait for the experts.) Is there a diagram on the motor? The info on the switch you have I suspect refers to use on a three phase motor. Or maybe the motor is non US and green isn't ground but I doubt that.

Old 11-23-07, 05:53 AM
My real question is, what happens when you reverse a meat grinder? Do you get your meat back?

The proper term is swap, not switch, the two red wires. Do not connect any part of the switch to ground! Also, you can't plug that rig into a standard electrical receptacle. The real electricians 'round here will tell you exactly what you need.

For the record, the diagram shows the proper way to use a double-pole, double-throw switch as a reversing switch. The switch must be designed to "break before make", which means it will break contact with one side before making contact on the other. A center-off switch is inherently break before make.

Old 11-23-07, 07:40 AM
Thank you both very much for your help. It is a single phase motor and it does say to swap the red wires to reverse the motor. So i followed your diagram, and hooked the ground from the motor and the ground from the plug in cord together, and then hooked the toggle switch up like the diagram. Then i plugged it in to a 250v outlet, and the motor works, however the switch works like this: off/off/on. So it is not reversing at the moment, any other ideas??

Old 11-23-07, 08:53 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Reversing the to line wires WILL NOT reverse the motor. You need to access the winding leads inside the motor connection box. There are probably two red wires inside there that need to be reversed.

Old 11-23-07, 09:22 AM
I did look inside the motor and i do see what you mean. There is a red and black wire in there that you have to switch to reverse the rotation. That really helped me understand the diagram on the motor itself. So is there any reasonable way i can hook that up to a switch so i can easily reverse the rotation? If its not a reasonable way of doing it, its ok, its not the biggest deal that it wont reverse, i got the motor running and thats all that matters. Thanks for all your guys' help.

Old 11-23-07, 12:35 PM
You need somthing like this, an AC reversing drum switch.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...BaseItem=6WY10

Old 11-23-07, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by cherrybomber View Post
... the motor works, however the switch works like this: off/off/on.
Lots of ifs ...
If the switch really is a double pole, double throw, center-off (there are six lugs for wire terminations) ...
If you're sure you connected it according to the diagram ...
If the instructions are correct and the red wires are indeed the reversing leads ...

It should have worked. At the very least, it should work in both "on" positions even if it didn't reverse the motor.

Something's not right. Can you find a link to the switch you're using or upload a picture?

OTOH, are you sure the meat grinder itself will turn in reverse?

(Again, I'm curious why you'd want to reverse it. That kind of power should even be able to grind bones without getting jammed.)

Old 11-23-07, 05:30 PM
If the instructions are correct and the red wires are indeed the reversing leads ...
But as I understand it those are the only two leads the OP says are from the motor (except ground). You need more then two leads. They are only the power leads it would seem. Just for reference if anyone has a single phase motor try reversing how you plug it into the outlet. Guarantee you it will run the same direction. Switch has to be on the reversing leads not the power leads.

Old 11-23-07, 06:13 PM
Reversing the AC polarity to the start winding would make the motor start in reverse. No?

Old 11-23-07, 07:05 PM
Ok, yes the two red wires are just power wires. I found the reversing wires inside the box on the motor, and the diagram on the motor explains i need to switch those to wires to reverse it, i just didn't understand the diagram before i opened that power panel on the motor. So i am going to hook those two wires up to a seperate on/on dpdt toggle switch, and that will reverse the motor. Yes the motor/grinder combo has enough power to grind bones and stuff, but the knife part of the grinder can get gummed up, the auger part itself will keep turning however nothing will come out. So if you reverse the direction of the auger, it will fix itself. Its better than sticking your hand down there and doing it yourself. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-23-07, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Reversing the AC polarity to the start winding would make the motor start in reverse. No?
It's been over 30 years since I did motor repair and that was mostly three phase. They are reversible by just reversing the power leads. When you get into single phase there are many types of motors and my memory just isn't that good nor are we sure what type of motor the OP has for sure. I think though you are correct. As he has said now he must add more leads.

My statement was based on the fact that most 240 appliances such as saws and air conditioners can only turn one direction but either hot lead from the panel can be connected to either side of the receptacle. If reversing the power leads changed directions half the time the equipment would run backwards just because of the choice of which hot wire on the receptacle.

Old 11-24-07, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by cherrybomber View Post
i am going to hook those two wires up to a seperate on/on dpdt toggle switch, and that will reverse the motor.
Again, make sure it's a break-before-make switch. Or switch it only when the main power to the motor is off. (A good idea anyway.)

Yes the motor/grinder combo has enough power to grind bones and stuff, but the knife part of the grinder can get gummed up, the auger part itself will keep turning however nothing will come out. So if you reverse the direction of the auger, it will fix itself. Its better than sticking your hand down there and doing it yourself. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Please do!

PS: Don't tell anyone 'cause I'm showing my age, but when I was a meat cutter's apprentice waaay back when, the grinder had a hand crank! I didn't have to worry about sticking my hand down there.

Old 11-24-07, 07:20 AM
Once motor is turning it will not reverse until it stops.

Old 11-24-07, 09:28 PM
I did finish wiring the motor today. So i have two toggle switches, one is to reverse the direction of the motor and the other is to turn the motor on and off. It works wonderfully. Yes i have hand cranked a meat grinder plenty of times, but when you start doing a hundred pounds of meat in a weekend, you get pretty sick and tired of turning that thing yourself. Thank you very much for helping me out with this project, it is greatly appreciated.