circuit to garage

Old 11-22-07, 10:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuit to garage

Hi all, I want to run a circuit to my detached garage. I have a question about the wiring. I was thinking of using 12-3 from a DP 20A breaker to a junction box, then using one hot for outlets and one hot for lights and sharing the neutral. Can I do this? Do I need a disconnect somewhere? The main reason would be for a 220 upgrade in the future. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-07, 06:11 AM
R
Yes, this is legal if you follow the rules. You do need a disconnect, and I suggest splitting to two separate circuits at the disconnect.

However, a multi-wire circuit using 12 gage wire will not give you much room to expand in the future. if you really plan on a sub panel some day then I suggest larger wire to start with or using conduit to make the replacement easier.

Old 11-26-07, 08:50 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by al328 View Post
using 12-3
This would, of course, need to be 12-3 UF-B cable buried 18" or more, not NM-B.

Old 11-26-07, 09:20 AM
J
And don't forget GFCI. Install a GFCI receptacle first on the receptacle circuit after you split it. Since you will likely need far more receptacle power than lighting power, I would put some of the receptacles on the lighting circuit. If you do that, then you'll need a second GFCI receptacle.

But Bob's right. If the possibility of an upgrade is good, then the 12/3 is probably the wrong way to start. You'd need to completely abandon this 12/3 in order to upgrade.

And also please compute voltage drop. You didn't say how far it is to your garage, but if it's over 100 feet, you'll most-likely have adjust your plan.

Old 11-26-07, 07:15 PM
A
thanks for the replys. I still have questions on the disconnect. what type should it be? And how would I split to two circuits from the disconnect? should it be in the garage or outside? I want to avoid a subpanel at this point. The garage is really close to the house, maybe 10-12 feet. I was even considering an overhead wire (UV protected with a wire cable for support) and probably 10-3 now. Thanks again!

Old 11-26-07, 11:44 PM
D
Can I piggyback a question in here? I see that it is stated one can use 2 hots and a shared neutral return from a 240v feeder. My understanding is that the shared neutral requires the loads to be "balanced". If this is true, can someone explain what that means in practical terms?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-07, 03:47 AM
R
Your understanding is incorrect. The loads do not need to be balanced. Voltage drop is less if the loads are balanced, but they do not have to be.