Max wire limit in Clamp connector.

Old 11-25-07, 12:40 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Max wire limit in Clamp connector.

Can anyone tell me per code requirements how many 14/2 NM wires is allowed in the 3/4" & 3/8" clamp type connector?

For more description of the connector kindly view the below link.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6102073

Thanks in advance,
Rakki

Old 11-25-07, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Using the package instructions shown in your link it looks like only one cable is listed as being acceptable.

However, there are others of the same style or differing styles that will allow the use of 2 cables.

Old 11-25-07, 01:39 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
just to word pcboss' post a bit different:

code allows materials and equipment to be used as they are (UL) listed for. If a connector is listed to accept only one wire, then that is all code allows. If it is listed to accept multiple wires, then up to whatever number is specified in the listing is acceptable.

Old 11-25-07, 01:49 PM
It doesnt specify in the link "How Many" but just the types of wire. Unfortunately the Info you are looking for will be stamped on the package or the clamp itself, so unless you are looking at it directly, there is no way to tell.

My suggestion is to go to the local home improvement store and look at a package. I just bought a 5 pack
of 3/8 clamps and they were under 3 $. Mine are rated for two 14/2 nm or two 12/2 nm, but check for yourself, You dont wanna get JAMMED on something that stupid.

Old 11-25-07, 03:16 PM
R
mmm. There is none listed in the package. Also there are no recommendations/instructions in the shelf where I picked it up. (the items I have look exactly same as I shared in the link) The store guys also didnt help quoting it is left to the local code. When I called the electrical inspector he said it is based on the instructions in the package. He would also ask me show the instructions if he feels the wires are over crowded.

I looked closely on the product this is what is embossed on the clamp.

3/4"
U/L 11C (SA
(Delta/Triangle symbol) 3/4" Mfg Country

3/8"
U/L 2H (SA
3/8"
S (Delta/Triangle symbol) Mfg Country

Does it mean anything?

Rework will be painful also using just one wire for each connector will be stupid. Please keep me posted if you have more information. The clamps I picked it up are from Ace and Home Depot...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: