two neutrals

Old 11-25-07, 01:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
two neutrals

Have a wierd question. Basically I want to put my outdoor plugs on its own circuit. The junction box in my living room has three switches, one controlling the outdoor plugs. The easiest thing for me to do is to take the wasted attic light circuit (on its own) and run it down to the junction box with three light switches. Now here comes the weird question, I know that the only way i can share a neural is if it was started at the box so I am not gonna do that. My question is, is it ok to have two neutrals from two different circuits in one junction box? Has anyone ever seen that? I know that obviously the neutral from the new circuit going to the outside plugs needs to make sure it goes to those controlled plugs. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-07, 02:34 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I believe I understand your question. If I do, then there is no problem with what you propose.

All the wires in any particular circuit are required to travel together. It does sound like that is what you are doing. If not, let us know for a revised answer.

just so you know, I have had junction boxes with 20 or 30 neutrals in them along with their associated hot wires.

As long as the box is not overfilled (per code requirements) I see no problem.

Old 11-25-07, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I am correct, I had the same question.. You wish to Have two "Unrelated " ckts in the same Junction Box.?

If this is indeed permitted, Is there any form of Identification that is REQUIRED between Ckts?

Old 11-25-07, 03:38 PM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
It is permitted. Keep the neutrals from the circuits separate. Connect ALL the grounds together.

Old 11-25-07, 03:43 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post

If this is indeed permitted, Is there any form of Identification that is REQUIRED between Ckts?
there is nothing required but I typically tape the associated hots and neutrals together (I usually am working with individuaol conductors) so as to not get them confused.

You can also number the conductors to their breaker number so as to help should you need to turn off one or the other to work in the box.