Used Air Hockey Table

Old 11-25-07, 09:49 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used Air Hockey Table

My used Air Hockey table was working then someone kicked the cord loose from the wire nut. The electrical circuit consists of 2 items: the motor that blows the air and a switch attached to the air hockey table. From the motor is the standard two wire cord (like what you would have comming from your living room lamp at home that you plug in to the wall). One wire goes to the wire nut from the motor attached to the air hockey table, the other wire goes to the switch from this same motor. The cord I plug in to the wall with is hanging loose. I tried twisting both wires on this cord (I use to plug in to the wall socket) in to the wire nut and this blew the breaker. I know when you wire a light switch in your kitchen a wire goes to the switch and then returns to the Junction box in the ceiling fan/light (I know because I have wired this before). It seems a wire must leave the switch on the air hockey table and either go to a ground or back to the wall outlet or back to the motor since there is a wire that goes to the switch from the motor as I already said. The deal is that I have a cord hanging loose from the wall with two wires and I got to figure out how to connect them back knowing I have a wire nut connected to a wire that comes from the motor. It may be I connect one wire from the cord comming from the wall to the wire nut and connect the other wire comming from the cord connected to the wall to a ground (question then would become, how do I connect to a ground?). I don't think finding a piece of metal on the air hockey table to use as a ground would work since the piece of metal is not connected to ground (only to a piece of wood on the air hockey table).

Old 11-25-07, 10:03 PM
The motor: One wire needs to go to the switch and the other wire to the wire nut. Sounds like these wires are still in the proper places.

The cord from the wall: The hot wire needs to go to the switch, and the other to the wire nut.

That's it.

Old 11-26-07, 04:51 AM
R
Your post is very hard to read. Try using paragraphs to separate complete thoughts. It helps.

You know too little., at least on the subject of switches While SOME switches are wired in the manner you describe, not all are. There are many ways to wire switches into an electric circuit.

Never ever directly connect the two wires coming out of a cord. You tripped the breaker because you directly shorted the hot wire and the neutral. You are lucky you did not kill yourself or cause a fire.

It sounds like core had provided the instructions to get your table working again. Good luck, and please be careful.

Old 11-26-07, 11:42 PM
E
Air Hockey Table

I scratched this solution of Core's out on a piece of paper. I also found a great fault in my assessment. The cord comming out of the wall is only two prong which means it is two hots with no ground.

The wire going to the switch from the power cord goes to the motor then returns to the switch (I got to figure out how to connect it to the switch-maybe connect it to a screw on the switch that screws in to the wood on the side of the air hockey table). What is interesting is to know whether the wire that returns to the switch from the air hockey motor is shorted accross the switch when the switch is closed or is it left floating connected to a screw that is bolted in to the edje of the wood of the air hockey table?? It seems you would not need the wire at all if it were floating. It also seems you would have a circular never ending short from switch to motor back to switch again and so on if it (the wire that returns back to the switch) were shorted accross the switch. The electricity would have no reason to go through the air hockey table motor since this would present a load and electricity goes to the path of least resistance.

Note that the other wire comming out of the power cord goes to the motor on the air hockey table. This is the return (the nuetral), not the ground. This electrical system is ungrounded because it is a two pronged plug in the wall faceplate. It is a two wire system, which means a hot and a nuetral going to the wall faceplate with no third wire used for ground.

Old 11-27-07, 12:26 AM
Yes, we realize this is a 2-wire system without a ground. Ignore the ground you don't have one and don't need one.

Do NOT attach wires to bolts/screws in the table frame. That's a good way to kill somebody.

Your switch should have two terminals on it made for the wires to connect. I'm _not_ talking about the ones that hold the switch onto the wood. Or the switch may have two wires that you need to use wirenuts to connect them -- but you did not say this was the case.

The wire going to the switch from the power cord goes to the motor then returns to the switch
How many screw terminals are on this switch? Two or four?

I have already provided instructions, assuming your have a two terminal switch. The electricity goes from the wall cord to the switch, then if the switch is on continues through the motor and then returns via the lamp cord neutral. If you don't have a polarized plug with one blade larger than the other then it does not matter which goes to the switch and which goes to the motor.

You are making this way more complicated than it is. I can throw together a picture if need be. But all this talk about grounding, floating switch outputs, and resistance paths is just confusing yourself.

Old 11-27-07, 01:05 AM
Ok here's a crude diagram if it helps:

Old 11-27-07, 07:42 AM
E
air hockey table

After seeing your picture, I can see I was way off. I'll think about your picture. I do think a person must understand the theory, which you have now explained in order to connect things right.

One of the wires comming off the top of the switch is not visible from looking up at the bottom of the air hockey table. I'll have to pull the switch off and look at the top of it to see if there is a connector there. Thanks for telling me not to connect to the screw on the switch. I already tried that though last week by touching the wire to the screw while the juice was on and felt nothing. All was dead. Didn't think there would be enough juice to get much of a shock. Didn't know it could be as dangerous as you say-but now I know.

Should have written you guys before I tried anything last week.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: