Main breaker

Old 11-26-07, 06:19 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main breaker

I have a tennant who reset a circuit breaker and, when he did so, the main breaker arcced. I believe averything in the unit is working properly again. What is the cause for the arccing and can I fix it? Or, does it need fixing? I have replaced breakers b4 but not a main breaker.

Thanks in advance,

Lance

Old 11-26-07, 06:28 AM
R
First, and most important. YOU (personally) should not be doing anything. "Tennant" [sic] implies a rental unit. Most locales do not allow anyone other than an electrician to do electrical work in a rental unit.

Even if allowed, it is extremely unwise to do anything, as the liability assumes is immense.

Why did the breaker need to be reset? What do you by "arcced" [sic]? Is there physical evidence of a problem now? Does everything work properly?

Old 11-26-07, 06:39 AM
O
Needed reset because of a vacume cleaner I guess. He does have a big fish tank too. And, probably a multiple plug-in or two.

By arcing he meant sparked. Everything seems to work now.

Old 11-26-07, 06:55 AM
R
There could be many issues. When you reset a breaker you usually apply some pressure on the buss bars in the panel. It's possible that the connection from the main breaker to the bars is loose. It's also possible that the main breaker is loose.

Remember, every time a connection is made or broken a spark occurs. The size of the spark is determined by many factors, one of them being the amount of current.

You may want to have an electrician check out the panel, especially if the main breaker is loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: