15A circuit for Washer and Gas Dryer

Old 11-26-07, 07:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
15A circuit for Washer and Gas Dryer

The house I'm in came with a 20A circuit that has the Refrigerator, Microwave, Dishwasher, Washer, and Gas Dryer on it - WOW! Obviously this circuit trips quite often. There is an unused 15A circuit that is wired and near the Washer and Dryer. I would like to disconnect the Washer and Dryer from the 20A cicuit and put them both on the 15A circuit. I'm not worried about the rest of the 20A circuit - I'll deal with that when we redo the kitchen! Is 15A enough for an Washer and Gas Dryer?

Old 11-26-07, 08:13 PM
Flip the washer around. There will be a tag with an amp rating somewhere on the unit. If its rated less than 15 ..youre good to go.
What else is on the 15 amp you propose to use?

Old 11-26-07, 08:19 PM
R
The answer is yes, but this setup violates code if you have to move the circuit in any way.

Old 11-27-07, 05:21 AM
J
The Washer is Rated 5A and the Gas Dryer is 6A. These would be the only things on the entire 15A circuit.

The wire that I'd be using for the new 15A circuit is just coiled up and not even in a junction box. All I need is to connect an outlet which would be in reach of both Washer and Dryer. This violates code?

Old 11-27-07, 05:34 AM
R
New installations require that the washer and dryer be served by a 20 amp circuit. If you have to run a new circuit, make it a 20 amp circuit.

Old 11-27-07, 07:45 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I'm not sure that it violates the letter of the code, but perhaps the spirit. The code states that the laundry area must be served by at least one receptacle on a dedicated 20A circuit. It does not specifically say that the laundry appliances must use that dedicated 20A circuit, although I'm sure that's the intent. I think you're okay both code-wise and practically to use the existing 15A circuit for the laundry appliances.

I agree with Bob in that if you were installing a new circuit, it should be 20A. However since you are using the existing circuit which already terminates in the laundry room, I think the 15A is okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: