Bathroom Light

Old 11-27-07, 12:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Light

Hi all,

I just mounted a mirror in my bathroom (with the help of this forum), and now I need to mount a light. The mirror is 48" wide and the light is 36" wide (with 6 lights). The plan is to center the light over the mirror. BTW...I'm going to include some pics at the end of this.

The problem is that the old electrical box was centered over the sink. If I place the light over the electrical box, I would need to extend the wires, and this would leave the connection between the wires outside of the electrical box. I would use wire nuts with electrical tape to finish, but is this safe to sit outside the box?

I may even want the light higher and so I would have to move the electric box and extend the wires.

Question 1: Is it okay to join the wires outside of the electrical box?

Question 2: My house is OLD (1950s), please look at the closeup pic of the electric box. On the left, there is an unshielded wire screwed down to the electric box. Is this my ground? Should I place the ground for the light here too?

Question 3: If I move the electric box, what is the best way to patch the wall as there is knock down texture applied? Yes, I am a rookie, lol. Patching drywall isn't bad, but what is the best way to add the texture back? I have seen spray cans that claim to do it....advice?

Well, here are the pics. I thank you all!

Old 11-27-07, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I moved your thread into Electrical where it can get the needed attention.

Old 11-27-07, 03:56 PM
R
Does this new light have it's own box or does it need to be mounted to a box?

To answer your question, all wire connections need to be in a junction box.

Your choices are:

1) Move the box. Not likely, since it has what appears to be two cables inside.

2) Replace those cables (one or both of them) so that a new box can be placed where you need it. Maybe, maybe not, depending on where they come from.

3) Leave this box in place with a blank cover over it and run a wire to the new location. Probably now what you want to see.

Old 11-27-07, 05:16 PM
M
You have helped me a lot already. First, the light does need to be mounted to the box. The light is about 36" x 5". It comes with two drywall screws and anchors for the far ends and two screws that should line up to the electrical box for the center.

I think what you have suggested by using two boxes is probably my best bet. I have already cut a hole for the new box (thinking I would have to move it).

My next questions are:

1) How do I run the exposed white and black wires to the next box? I have already purchased some electrical wire that meets code. My guess is that I should join the two exposed wires securely to a piece of wire that will extend to the next box. I could pop the top tab out of the box and run the wire through there and into the next box. Is that correct?

2) Ground wires! The wire in my house as well as the wire I purchased from Lowes has a black wire, a white wire, and an unshielded wire. Is this unshielded wire the same as a ground? In my existing box, the unshielded wire is screwed to the frame of the box. Is this what I should continue to do? Is this where the ground for my light should connect?

3) Mounting the new box. I have a hole, but nothing to secure the box to. I should be able to run a board or something behind the hole, screw to the drywall, and then secure to box to the board. Is this the right idea?

Yes, I realize it is pretty scary that I know this little and I am working with wires. The good news is that I'm not going to do anything until I'm 100% sure it is right. Not having a light for a few days is a small price to pay to get the wiring correct!

Thanks again. Your time is appreciated.

Old 11-27-07, 05:54 PM
R
1. I do not know what you mean by exposed wire. All of your cable will be in the wall. You will have to drill studs if necessary, or route up into the attic and won to the new box.

2. The bare wire is the ground wire. It connects to the ground wires already in the box, or to the box itself if the old wiring is not ground.

3. You would mount an old work box, which has wings which fan out to catch behind the drywall.

Please be careful. Electricity can and does kill people and start fires.

Old 11-27-07, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
If I understand what your light is, you can cut a hole in the back of the fixture (be sure to bush the hole with a nipple or bushing to protect the wire) and then make your connections in the box. If the fixture wires are not long enough, I would suggest Cutting the hole in the back of the fixture, spliceing new wire in the existing box then making your final connections in the fixture because I'm sure the fixture requires 90c wire for the connections.

Old 11-27-07, 09:33 PM
M
Thanks all for the advice.

When I say "exposed wire" I am referring to the pictures. There are two wires where the copper is exposed.

Old 11-27-07, 10:56 PM
F
if you are talking about this kind style [ not the excat the same but look about rough idea ] light bar box type

or other type of " light bar with single box " like this light bar

it will make the diffrence how you can move the exsting junction box if you have simuair to the first photo you dont have to move the box at all the entire length will cover some off centred box but for other type light bar as i show on second photo you may have to move the box but you have 4 wires in there it may be tricky to move it i dont know how much you will move depending on what style you have there.

Merci, Marc

Old 11-28-07, 05:33 AM
M
Mine is like the first type and it does cover much of the hole but not all . I believe my best bet is to leave the existing box in place, screw a cover on it, patch the wall where needed, run wire to a 2nd box and mount there. It is a little extra work but probably the safest way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: