Baseboard heater thermostat wiring

Old 11-28-07, 11:45 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heater thermostat wiring

I have to replace the thermostat for a baseboard heater. The old thermostat has 4 wires connected to it as follows:

Top left = white
Top right = black
bottom left = black
bottom right = white.

The wires come from 2 different cables and are connected diagonally. The upper left(white) and the lower right (black) are from one cable and others are from another cable.

At the home store they told me that I should used a 2 connector thermostat (2 black wires) and connect the wires from the left side to it and connect the wires from the right side together with a marrette.

Is this the way to do it?

Old 11-28-07, 12:10 PM
R
Once again, position means nothing. Terms like upper left, lower right etc. do not mean anything, because all thermostats are different and because we can't see the one you have.

Why are you getting advice from a home store?

You need a thermostat capable of controlling 240 volts. You can get one with two wires or four wires. I would get one with four wires.

Old 11-28-07, 02:42 PM
O
Follow up?

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to point out that I didn't take the advice from the home store, I would always check with the pros (here).

I don't know if this is because of where I live but I tried a number of places and no one has the 4 wire. So since I already bought the 2 wire could I get help with the wiring?

I looked at the existing thermostat and did manage to see markings on each terminal. They are:

Top left = white "NORMALLY CLOSED"
Top right = black "NORMALLY CLOSED"
bottom left = black "COMMON"
bottom right = white. "COMMON"

The new thermostat is marked L1 and T1

For what it's worth the system was working fine (so I think it is wired correctly), the thermostat is just physically not turning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: