Dimmable CFL's

Old 11-29-07, 04:28 PM
Dimmable CFL's

At a Cleanup at a construction site in my community ,I acquired a "FREE" crate of 48 CFL 23 watt "A19" dimmable bulbs, With the understanding that if I cant use them , I would return them to someone who can .

I have some Recessed Cans that I would like to use them in. The can label states, Max 60 watt,when used with a given trim and an "A19" bulb. It doesnt state that the bulb must be incandescent. The bulb states ..directly replaces A19 incandescent bulb, Equivalent to 100 watts light output.

ANything I'm missing, safety wise, or any reason I shouldnt use them?????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 40
You're ok - your bulbs only consume 23 watts but they are claiming to create as much light as a 100 watt incandescent bulb (I find they're never quite as bright as claimed).

Old 11-29-07, 05:24 PM
Side point... I have been reading quite a bit lately about CFL bulbs failing (in some cases dramatically) after heating themselves to death in certain cans. Of course they burn much cooler but they are themselves sensitive to the heat they do generate. Anybody ever seen any interesting cases?

Ah, by the way, I don't know _precisely_ how these fixtures are rated, but assuming they mean 60VA more or less: If an average CFL has a power factor of say 0.52, your 60W fixture is only good for up to a 31W CFL bulb. Unless the rating is determined by the incandescent heat alone? Dunno.

Old 11-29-07, 05:28 PM
nap
Is there any writing on the packaging that indicates the allowable direction for mounting of the lamp?

Some lamps cannot be used "base up" which is the position when installing them in can lights.

they would need to be indicated as base up or universal mounting