Here is a weird one

Old 11-29-07, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a weird one

We have a 3-way ckt, where the feed originally went from switch # 1 then # 2, then to the light. The "hot" wire was shared from a signle pole switch (in the same box) for a different light. NOW due to major renovations the cicuits in the house have been split up and placed on separate breakers to better even them out. (formally 13 lights and 8 sockets on one breaker) The power feed now comes from the light to switch # 2 then to #1.

I have;
A 14/2 coming from the breaker into light box.
A 14/2 running to switch # 2
A 14/2 running to switch # 1
A shared hot from the same breaker in box for switch # 1.

my question is
Can I re activate the 3 way ckt? The project is basically done and tennents are moving in.

Or

How the hell did the previous electrician wire this to work? It did work, I seen it in action. I did not change any of the rest of the wiring just were the feed came from.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You cannot safely make this work. This did not safely work before.

Redo the cables from the light to the first switch to the second switch.

Better yet, bring in an electrician. If you are renting this space out, it is unwise to do electrical work unless you are a licensed electrician. If you do it, you assume an awful lot of liability.

Old 11-29-07, 07:14 PM
Received 133 Votes on 119 Posts
You can not make the three way work . You must have 14/3 between the 2 three way switches to make it work.
The "hot" wire was shared from a single pole switch (in the same box) for a different light.
In which switch box? It could not have worked before without some creative probably code violating wiring.

Old 11-30-07, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
You could make it so both switches have to be in the on position for the light to work. Not a good option but it is an option. Or just abandon one and just use one switch. Otherwise your screwed.