Motion sensing switch replacing 3-way switch

Old 11-29-07, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion sensing switch replacing 3-way switch

Hi, I want to replace a three-way switch in my garage with a motion sensing switch. I have this motion sensing switch from my previous house, but it was used in place of a two-way switch. Will this switch work for what I want, or do I need a special three-way motion sensing switch? I'm not familiar with whether or not they make those. If necessary, I'm willing to have the other flip-switch not control the light--it won't be needed with the motion sensor.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 09:52 PM
Possible

It is probably possible. First off, Iím not familiar enough with all the codes to say if itís legal or not, but technically you could make it work. It is very likely that you could remove one switch, wire it so that itís always ďonď, and put a cover plate over the box. Then, you could put the motion sensor on the other box. If a 4-conductor cable is ran between the boxes, you will now have an extra wire that can be capped off inside the boxes. There are several different configurations for 3-way switches so this may not work.

Old 11-30-07, 12:11 AM
the term you say two way is common as we say in here is the three way switching device and yes there is a 3 way motion dectors on market.

but a head up please read the instuction very carefully with the hook up some are pretty picky with connections and some 3 way motion dectors will not work with some CFL.

Merci, Marc

Old 11-30-07, 07:58 PM
They will also probably want a neutral in the box also.