Outdoor Outlets

Old 11-30-07, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Outlets

I read recently that it is against code to tap into a bathroom circuit for an outdoor outlet. According to the article, it ok to tap into a bedroom circuit but never a kitchen, bath or utility room. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-07, 07:36 PM
Opinions don't matter. Code does.

You can't tap a bathroom receptacle circuit for anything outside the bathroom.

You cannot tap a kitchen receptacle circuit for a receptacle outside the kitchen, dining room or pantry.

A laundry circuit cannot be tapped for a receptacle outside the laundry room/area.

A utility room circuit can be tapped, but not if it is a laundry circuit.

Whatever circuit you tap, make sure that it can handle the load.

Old 12-01-07, 12:44 AM
the other thing that any repectales going to outside it must be GFCI'ed and also have to use the " bubble" cover aka in use cover i know it will look like sore thumb but the code been written in way back either 89 or 02 code cycle that time.

but the other issue will crop up after the first of the year is enforeced with AFCI that will get very sticky [ not all states will adopt it rightaway ] so keep in your mind with it as well.

Merci, Marc

Old 12-01-07, 10:21 AM
I also have bathroom outlets tapped to outside, In the "Spirit" of correcting this ,Is it acceptable for 2 "Bathrooms" to share a Receptacle ckt?

First floor and second floor Baths share a GFCI breaker. Front outside outlets are tapped from second floor , Rear outside outlets are from the first floor.Was this EVER LEGAL? House was remodeled in the late 80's.

Old 12-01-07, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Is it acceptable for 2 "Bathrooms" to share a Receptacle ckt?
They can share a receptacle circuit, yes. In this case nothing else may be on the circuit. Not the bathroom lights.

Regarding out outside outlets. Hmmmm maybe the previous owner had an outhouse in the front yard?

Old 12-01-07, 12:45 PM
Nope, Only the outlets for the bath (That is of course after I remove the "OUTSIDES" from the ckt.

I have an abandoned ckt from a subpanel installation that I would like to use for the "OUTSIDES".

Would It be permissable to run a wire between the two bathroom boxes, disconnect the front and back outsides from the bath ckt , and splice the outsides together in the bathroom boxes, Then feed the outsides from the end of line, which just happens to be directly behind my abandoned ckt?

I guess I should just ask if I can have splices from 2 unrelated ckts in the same junction box?

Old 12-01-07, 12:47 PM
You can have multiple circuits in a box. You must, of course watch box fill requirements.

Old 12-01-07, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You can have multiple circuits in a box. You must, of course watch box fill requirements.
Understood,
Since the hard part to this is fishing the wires, I have to remove the boxes to do what Im planning. Just as an Opinion, Would YOU replace the boxes with Larger (Of course , enough to satisfy "Box Fill") "OLD WORK" boxes, or Replace the "Nail-ons" and patch the drywall?

Old 12-01-07, 01:22 PM
I would re-run the wires to eliminate the extra junctions.