110vac to 220vac questions

Old 12-01-07, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
110vac to 220vac questions

What do you make of this? Would you be able to find the 2 circuits required powered from 1 panel? Seems to me all the outlets in one house woud be in phase.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-07, 09:37 AM
Houses (except perhaps really old ones) are fed with 240 volts power. Both hot legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, with a center tapped neutral. As long as you grab two different how legs you have 240 volts.

These devices are unsafe. They grab two hot legs from unrelated circuits. Since the circuits are from different places in the house, there is a current imbalance on each circuit. The neutral for each circuit will carry none of the current, while each circuits hot leg will carry the current.

If you used something like this at all, you would only want to do so temporarily. You would never want to use one these for a permanent setup.

Old 12-01-07, 09:46 AM
Thanks. I am looking for an easy inexpensive way to power my 220v welder for small jobs (low current) away from home with no 220v outlets. How unsafe are these? Do you know of any safer affordable alternatives to accomplish my goal. I would like to avoid a 220v generator as they are large and expensive?

Old 12-01-07, 09:50 AM
Use a generator or make an adapter and extension cord for a dryer receptacle.

Do you really have a welder that works on 15 amps? It must not be able to do much.

Old 12-01-07, 09:56 AM
maxes at 30 amps, but on lower settings for thinner guages of metal, it doesn't use/need 30 amps. Are there any possiblities of converting 12vdc to 220vac?

Old 12-01-07, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by never4get343 View Post
Thanks. I am looking for an easy inexpensive way to power my 220v welder for small jobs (low current) away from home with no 220v outlets.
15 to 20 amps? Welder? -----????

Is this going with you on Jobsites?---I think I would flip if I saw that come into my home to operate a Welder...

Old 12-01-07, 10:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
maxes at 30 amps, but on lower settings for thinner guages of metal, it doesn't use/need 30 amps. Are there any possiblities of converting 12vdc to 220vac?
Inverters aren't really intended for high draw equipment. Many are only 120V. Assuming you found one that could supply 30a at 240v it would probably cost more then a generator and any battery with less capacity then a forklift battery you wouldn't get much working time. (Of course forklift batteries aren't 12v and an inverter to work with them would be even more costly plus cost of battery.)

Old 12-01-07, 10:14 AM
15 to 20 amps? Welder? -----????

Is this going with you on Jobsites?---I think I would flip if I saw that come into my home to operate a Welder...
Thanks, that is both helpful and informative. I appreciate your valuable input.

Old 12-01-07, 10:18 AM
one that could supply 30a at 240v it would probably cost more then a generator
Wow you aren't kidding. I just found some and they are large and expensive. Sounds like I might be stuck getting a generator then. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-01-07, 10:30 AM
Thanks, that is both helpful and informative. I appreciate your valuable input.
Upon rereading my post, I realize that it didnt quite come out right.
I was more stressing the liability issue of bringing something that would be "Unsafe" to a Jobsite, Where , even the most "Master Of Craftsman" stands to lose his shirt over something this trivial.

Old 12-01-07, 10:14 PM
Not condoning this at all. I once saw a professional wood floor contractor refinishing an entire house using a 230 volt sander. No 230 volt in the house so he simply pulled the panel off the load center and put two heavy duty clamps on both phase bars and a third clamp on the box. Then went about his business.

Old 12-01-07, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by nagra4s View Post
Not condoning this at all. I once saw a professional wood floor contractor refinishing an entire house using a 230 volt sander. No 230 volt in the house so he simply pulled the panel off the load center and put two heavy duty clamps on both phase bars and a third clamp on the box. Then went about his business.
i did see that siuation myself few time and i know i went after one floor contractor which they did damaged the breaker box the reason why i dont genally encorage anyone to do this becaue for one obovus reason is that that person is risking thier life on live bussbar.,, secondally that person whom put the clips on the bussbar is bypassing the protection for the motor if motor get overloaded and burn up then bye bye motor.,, third i have some issue with some contractor used that arrangement and nicked up the bussbar and when they get done with it i installed breakers and found out it will not " seat " in right due the clip can do some damage.

so anyone have a funny idea to use the clip dricteally on bussbar on breaker box DO NOT DO THIS DA** THING AT ALL not worth your life if something shortout.

i get this kind of service call from time to time when the breaker box got dameaged.

there is some smart flooring contractor will carry a breaker or two to fit in the breaker box and run from there.{ noramally most will get ahold of electrician to deal with it ]

Merci, Marc