quick light switch question

Old 12-01-07, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quick light switch question

In my apt I have a TV and a light plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a light switch. The TV cord won't reach the other outlet in the room without an extension cord running across the room. Is there such a thing that will allow the TV to bypass the switch but not the light?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-07, 03:26 PM
Maybe........

Depending on the wiring in the outlet box. If you were to have a line supply in the box, then it would just be a matter of clipping the tabs off of the outlet (which would separate the top and bottom outlets into two seperate outlets) and moving some wirenuts around. You would need to let us know how it is wired before you could get a definitive answer.

You did mention "APARTMENT" which, unfortunately moves you into a new realm of things. It is illegal, unwise, and probably not worth the trouble to do anything more than change a light bulb in a residence that you dont own.

Old 12-01-07, 04:50 PM
Yeah I don't want to mess with any of the wiring. So, I guess there is no device I could buy?

Old 12-01-07, 06:19 PM
I cant relly suggest anything I would trust,as Im sure there are all kinds of gizmos, gadgets and Thingys available for just about anything.

You have proven your competence by way of not wanting to use an extension cord across the room, so browsing thru walmart might just get you something your comfortable with.

If you turn your attention to the light...if you taped over the switch, is there any place else the light could go???It may be a bit inconveinient, but would solve your TV problem.

Old 12-01-07, 07:19 PM
I would leave the switch on all times and just use a remote control for the light.

Just saw one advertised on late-night tv last night for $9.95, which a stick-on switch that looks like a normal switch. And of course you can buy better ones.

Old 12-02-07, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys. I will look into the remote. And I already taped the light switch so no one would turn it off. It's a real pain when the power to the TV is gone, because I have to go through the TV setup again.