Retrofitting Cloth Wire

Old 12-03-07, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting Cloth Wire

Can you mix old cloth wires with new 14 gauge wire.

I'd like to install 4 grounded receptacles for the living room which are easy to access and replace with new wires; however also wired into the same circuit are 4 light fixtures. Instead of fishing the new wires through the walls... (which I heard is not easy) can I continue to use the cloth wires to the fixtures and junction them to the source 14 gauge wires in the basement? The breaker is a 15 Amps.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 01:34 PM
Is the circuit a grounded circuit? What is the entire scope of your project? Are you running a new cable all the way to the panel?

Old 12-03-07, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Is the circuit a grounded circuit? What is the entire scope of your project? Are you running a new cable all the way to the panel?
Currently there are 4 outlets and 4 light fixtures on one ungrounded cloth circuit that goes to a new 15 amp circuit breaker.

What I'd like to do is at least get ground to the 4 outlets on the baseboard, while keeping the cloth running to the 4 light fixtures. Is it ok to junction the non grounded cloth wire fixtures into my new grounded circuit which has new wires all the way back to the panel?

Old 12-03-07, 02:22 PM
You are not telling us something here. How were the lights originally powered? Why are those cables all of a sudden unterminated in the basement?

Old 12-03-07, 02:43 PM
You are not telling us something here. How were the lights originally powered? Why are those cables all of a sudden unterminated in the basement?
Nothing is unterminated currently.

What I currently have:
Wired on one circuit is 4 outlets and 4 lights with Cloth non-grounded cable that runs all the way to the panel. On the panel it's a 15 amp circuit breaker.

What I'd like to do is:
Run new 14 gauge cable from the panel to the outlets. It's easy for me to access the outlets as there on the baseboard. However the lights are harder to get to. So instead of fishing a new cable through the wall I'd like to junction the remaining cloth wire to the lights to the new wire on the outlets. Is it safe for me to do this? Would home inspectors frown upon this when I try to sell it?

Light Fixture--->Cloth ungrounded wire---->Grounded Socket------>New 14 gauge Wire----->Panel

Old 12-03-07, 02:50 PM
Leave the existing old NM type ungrounded cable alone. Replace only the cables going to the receptacles and the panel. Do not install any new junction boxes.

Old 12-03-07, 03:04 PM
Leave the existing old NM type ungrounded cable alone. Replace only the cables going to the receptacles and the panel. Do not install any new junction boxes.
Unfortunately I need to have 2 junction boxes to 2 of the lights because I cannot get access to daisy chain the receptacle directly to the light. Are excess junction boxes a bad thing? Both junctions would be in the unfinished basement.

Old 12-03-07, 03:08 PM
There is something you are not telling us.

I thought you said everything was already wired and currently functioning.

Old 12-03-07, 03:43 PM
There is something you are not telling us.

I thought you said everything was already wired and currently functioning.

It's fun to describe what they were doing in the forties with their wiring, but here it goes again.

Yes it is currently functioning. The reason I need a junction is light switch and receptacle are daisy chained inside the wall where I do not have access to it. The cloth wire mostly takes paths through the basement along the outside wall except when going from the light switch to the the socket. I'm essentially bypassing the cloth wire between the light switch and receptacle, but not from the light switch to the light.

Unless you think I should use the other end of the daisy chain to supply the power to the switch. I'd have to overlap the new wire with the old wire on the receptacle.

I think you've answered my original question though.

Old 12-03-07, 04:05 PM
Leave the cloth wires intact where you cannot get access to them. Replace only the cloth wires where they go from panel to receptacle or receptacle to receptacle. Perhaps replace the cloth wire from switch to receptacle, but only if necessary.