Problem after a electrical repair

Old 12-03-07, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem after a electrical repair

A down tree came down on my house overhead power wire and pulled the main wire(s) that goes into the fuse box. (I didn't noticed this until the next day because my house still have power.) The power was shut off by the utility company and an electrician was hire to replace the severed wires. Utility company turned the power back on after the "fix". I now noticed my microwave (1100 Watts) doesn't get enough power. I purchased a new microwave (1150 watts) and it does the same thing. (power at high level and within 4 seconds the power decreased, the inside light was dimmed and the sound was lower than the start up power. So I decided to bring the microwave to my in-laws house and It works fine. No decrease in sound or power. My question is-Is it possible my wires inside the house went bad and need to be replaced. Is there a way I can test my home wires my self? I also tried a different outlet. Same problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 04:03 PM
Call the power company now. Turn off ALL your 240 volt loads. I suspect you have a serious problem that has not been found and fixed. You need to power company to investigate. They will fit it (if it is there problem). They may fix it if it is your problem, or they will probably at least point out where it is.

Old 12-03-07, 04:30 PM
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Sounds like one of the connections is loose.

Old 12-03-07, 06:39 PM
When Bob said to call your power company now, he didn't mean first thing in the morning. He really did mean NOW -- even if it's midnight.

Old 12-04-07, 08:16 PM
An electrician came out and checked my fuse box. 250 from the main to the house. Ground wires were fine. He even took my working microwave outside and connected to his breaker box to rule out a bad breaker. It still draws an uneven power from the fuse box. (Ruled out not house wire problem) It starts at 6 amps then to 14 amps. He stated he never test read a microwave before so he can't be sure if it is OK. He also stated that it should be highter from start than lower like any other appliances due to the initial start. He has no idea and will call back. What do you all think? I just called my utility company, no answer

Old 12-04-07, 08:52 PM
Call the emergency number. Somebody will answer.

Old 12-05-07, 05:13 AM
You should have called the power company BEFORE an electrician.

Old 12-06-07, 12:52 AM
John Nelson and racraft. Thank you for your help. The problem was from the main line. When the power company came the first time to fix the down line, they never check the transformer side. The ground wire was damaged but not enough to cause problem until 240 was used (microwave, dryer etc.) Once a 240 load was used for about 30 seconds, the ground wire snapped. They fixed it within 1/2 hour. I wonder how much the electrician going to charge me for coming back? First time for the one hour emergency job was $450. There goes my Christmas money. Again, thanks for your help. Have a safe Holidays (with working electricity)

Old 12-06-07, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by tonykwong View Post
I wonder how much the electrician going to charge me for coming back? First time for the one hour emergency job was $450. There goes my Christmas money. Again, thanks for your help. Have a safe Holidays (with working electricity)
Where did you get a 240 volt microwave?

As far as Christmas money, do you have any documentation from the power company?---I would present it to the electrician along with my attourneys biz card.