Moving Circuit Breakers

Old 12-03-07, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving Circuit Breakers

I am installing a new (additional) washer/dryer so i need to install a new 30 amp breaker. However, the panel only has two spaces left and they are across from eachother. It is my understanding that I definately need a 2-pole breaker (for they dryer's 240V) which must use two spaces, right?

Can I just move on of the single-pole breakers that is currently directly above one of my free spaces and install it in the remaining free space on the other side of the panel, thus creating the necessary space for the new 2-pole 30A breaker?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can move one of the breakers, but your existing wire will probably be too short to accomplish this. You will have to attach an additional length of black wire with a wire nut on your existing one and run it around the bottom of the box and up to the new location. That is if it is not possible to route it over the top. Sometimes it gets really crowded at the top. Don't forget to rename the locations on your door ID sheet.

Last edited by chandler; 12-03-07 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add text
Old 12-03-07, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You also need to make sure that the breaker you are going to move is not part of a multiwire circuit. You will be able to tell this by following the wire of the breaker you are going to move to where it leaves the panel and see if it is with another hot wire and only one natural. If it is, these two circuits need to be kept on opposite phases. Otherwise you risk running double the current on the neutral. (BAD!!) If the breaker is part of a multiwire you can then install a tandem breaker (if you panel accepts one). Just make sure you keep the circuit you are moving on the same phase.

Old 12-03-07, 06:17 PM
You also need to make sure that the addition of this new dryer will not overload your service.

Old 12-03-07, 06:25 PM
What's the best way to know if it is going to overload my service? Is that info on the panel?

Old 12-04-07, 05:23 PM
One more question (hopefully)
In my panel there is a 50amp breaker for a range/stove, but it looks like it is only taking up one space in the panel. Is this even possible since I'm assuming the range would require a 2-pole breaker? Or am I probably looking at it wrong?

Thanks guys.

Old 12-04-07, 05:59 PM
Google "demand load calculation". You'll find instructions for computing the service load.

In some panels (not very many), a double-pole 240-volt breaker can be single width. We don't have enough details here. Please post the make and model of the panel, and the make and model of the breaker. A picture would be good too.

Old 12-04-07, 11:59 PM
My Panel is a
Crouse-Hinds Type G LC 230PC (200A main breaker)
Model:14
It also says that it's intended for Box# 77030-05

The breaker says: Crouse-Hinds BKR 2-Pole Unit Issue MC-1228 HACR Type CTL Type MH/MM 120/240VAC

Old 12-05-07, 06:25 PM
I took several pictures of it but I couldn't post them here because i don't have a URL for the pictures. If you would still like them I could email them to you as well. Otherwise, does it look like I have a panel that could have a 2-pole breaker in a single space?

Thanks in advance, again.

Jon

Old 12-05-07, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jethromarx View Post
My Panel is a
Crouse-Hinds Type G LC 230PC (200A main breaker)
Model:14
It also says that it's intended for Box# 77030-05

The breaker says: Crouse-Hinds BKR 2-Pole Unit Issue MC-1228 HACR Type CTL Type MH/MM 120/240VAC
I don't think he will have to worry about the added load. lol!

Old 12-06-07, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
In some panels (not very many), a double-pole 240-volt breaker can be single width. We don't have enough details here. Please post the make and model of the panel, and the make and model of the breaker. A picture would be good too.
Does anyone know if my panel happens to be one of these? (see previous post for panel info)
I really appreciate all of your help guys.