Do wires run in unfinished walls need conduit?

Old 12-03-07, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do wires run in unfinished walls need conduit?

I haven't seen this stated explicitly nor any examples so I thought I'd ask. For example a garage or a shed, if the walls are to remain permanently unfinished, does the wiring require conduit to protect it or is simply being within the area of the studs considered its protection?

334.15 says NM cable can be installed in Exposed work as specified in sections (A) thru (C). (A) Says that its considered concealed when run in void inaccessible areas of the building OR when run within joists, studs, etc.

I am reading that last part to say its OK to run NM cable w/o conduit in unfinished used areas. True?

Thanks.

Last edited by DavidT; 12-03-07 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 07:21 PM
Where I cme from, I'm pretty sure the wires need to be protected unless they are 5 feet (maybe 4) from the ground.

I would say it's quite possible something similar is in place where you live. Protection doesn't mean just conduit though. There is BX, and there is flex.

Old 12-03-07, 07:22 PM
The latter (in most areas). But I'd run it up high to reduce the chance of damage.

Old 12-04-07, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
This is generally up to the inspector and/or local policy. The NEC isn't crystal clear whether a residential garage requires protection, so the inspector generally makes a judgment call. I personally prefer conduit, at least down the walls, but many inspectors will allow NM cable so long as it is install "inside" the stud spaces.