Main Electrical Panel Vandalized.. Plz Help!

Old 12-03-07, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Electrical Panel Vandalized.. Plz Help!

Vandals smashed the main electrical panel on my house:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2078818731/

They also made off with the water heater and the air conditioning condenser unit.

About how much will these cost to fix?

How do I go about fixing it? Do I need to pull a city permit?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 01:05 AM
Since Both activities are illegal, and it makes no difference at this point, That isnt vandalizm,Its straight forward THEFT.
At this point , It would be wise to do NOTHING more than call the police and your Insurance company, and follow their instructions.
A call to the power company may also be a good Idea to ensure that none of those wires are LIVE, Thus putting you and your family in further danger.

Good luck.....

Old 12-04-07, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Damn copper thieves! I always smile a little when one of these jerks gets cooked or falls off a pole trying to steal wire.

Definitely call the power company ASAP. Based on the arc markings from where they stole your meter pan, I would bet that's still live and deadly. They will come out free of charge and make sure it's disconnected and safe.

Call your homeowners insurance to get information on filing a claim to hire a contractor. This will be a big job to fix that really out of the scope of most DIYers. Not only does most or all of this service entrance need to be replaced, but all of your circuits will need to traced out to determine proper breaker sizing. I don't know about the pricing for fixing the HVAC system, but the electric could easily end up at a couple thousand depending on what all needs to be replaced and the labor.

Old 12-04-07, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Damn copper thieves! I always smile a little when one of these jerks gets cooked or falls off a pole trying to steal wire.

Smells a bit like BBQ in here....
- Unfortunately that is the little ratbag that sues the township for personal injury and WINS!!!!