Gas Range to Replace Electric Range (240v to 120v)

Old 12-03-07, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Range to Replace Electric Range (240v to 120v)

Hi All,

My wife and I just purchased a new gas range/stove to replace our failing electric range/stove. I'll be plumbing the LP (done this a couple of times before) to the unit, but I'm not sure what to do for the electrical supply.

At this point, there's a single 240 volt 100-amp circuit (actually two bridged 120 volt 50-amp circuits) running to an outlet behind the unit. The old stove/range plugs into the outlet with a 240v plug.

The problem is that the new unit requires a 120 volt 15-amp circuit. Since it's in the kitchen, I'm assuming I'll need it to be GFCI. I do have a GFCI outlet above the counter-top and about 12 inches from the side of the stove/range, but I doubt the plug will reach - and I'd rather have the unit on its own circuit (as I'd imagine would be the recommendation).

So, the problem is that I'm not sure the recommended way to approach this problem. Should I just uninstall/disable the existing outlet and wiring - in favor of a new 120 volt 15-amp circuit from the breaker box ... OR ... would it be recommended to separate the two 50-amp fuses and replace one of them with a 15-amp?

Also, I'd imagine that, in either case, I'd need to run new wire from the panel as the existing wiring is much heavier than standard...?

Thanks a ton for any insight and/or recommendations!

- John

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 10:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please don't take offense but your post indicates a lack of basic knowledge of electric wiring. You wrote:
At this point, there's a single 240 volt 100-amp circuit (actually two bridged 120 volt 50-amp circuits) running to an outlet behind the unit.
Actually you have a 50a 240v breaker. This indicates a lack of the basics. You might want to get a book on wiring first.

If you have three or four wires to the plug and one is green or bare and the one of the others is white you may be able to do this without running new wire. Please post back with the color of the wires at the receptacle.

Old 12-04-07, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Ray has stated, you have a 50 amp 240 volt line to the electric stove. Calling it anything else is wrong.

Leave that line intact.

Install a new circuit for a 120 volt line to the area behind the stove. This does NOT need GFCI protection. As an alternative, you could take power from most existing kitchen receptacles, but I recommend against that.