New Ceiling fan smells fishy

Old 12-03-07, 09:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Ceiling fan smells fishy

Hi,
I just had a new ceiling fan installed on Thursday. It smells so bad ....... like fish. What could this be? I cleaned it off but the smell leaves for awhile then returns. i I thought it would be gone after a few days but it's not. Anyone know what this could be?

Last edited by tarahhunt; 12-03-07 at 09:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 03:55 AM
3 things come to mind..

They may have coated the motor with rustproofing at the factory. This will "BURN-OFF" by itself.

You may have an overload, and what you are smelling is the wire insulation burning.

And lastly, but still not good, Would be mold in the ceiling.

Was there a fan in this location previously? If the fan is reversible, try reversing it and see if the odor goes away, or at least moves to the second floor.

Did you have this proffessionally installed? If so... call the installer and ask about it.

Old 12-04-07, 03:56 AM
It is not unusual for fans to smell of new plastic or wood finishes, but this is a new one. Something from China no doubt??

Old 12-04-07, 01:57 PM
Does the fan have a light kit? Does the smell only occur when the lights are on? If so, I suspect it's some chemical residue burning off by the heat of the lights. Or, if the light has globes that are cushioned by a rubber band, it could be coming from this rubber band.

In any event, I think the smell will diminsh over time. Just give it a chance.

Old 12-06-07, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
You may have an overload, and what you are smelling is the wire insulation burning.

And lastly, but still not good, Would be mold in the ceiling.
Shoot, I really didn't expect this to be coming up here in the electrical forum, but I have a similar smell in our house which comes and goes periodically. The rooms it is in varies somewhat but tends to be in one particular room and it lasts for a couple of days and then goes away. We do not have any new fan to blame it on, so is insulation known to have a fishy smell when being burnt? If so, what steps can I take to rectify this situation? We do have a LOT of light bulbs that blow out what seems to be way too frequently... is this a related symptom?

Depending on the answers to above, I suppose we may also need to have mold looked into.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-07, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post

Depending on the answers to above, I suppose we may also need to have mold looked into.

Thanks!

David...

The only reason I considered Mold is because the fan would be blowing it around...If you dont have a fan in the immediate location, I wouldnt worry too much..But definitely look into the frequency of burnt bulbs, and wire insulation. "Burning or Melting" anything is a hazard not only to breathing , but fire as well.