3 Phase and Motor circuits

Old 12-04-07, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 Phase and Motor circuits

Probably beyond the DIY scope but I'll try anyway.

Im an auto mechanic of 20+ years and decided to pack up the tools, in favor of moving to the companys building maintenance department. No liscensing requirements, I'll be under a Supervisor at all times. Passed the written and hands on tests, But will completely admit that motors and 3 phase are not a Highlight of my resume.

What resources Would you guys recommend???? I guess for safety reasons, "INTRODUCTORY" 3 phase info is slim on the net...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 07:05 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
the motors themselves are very simple

You will find that a 3 phase motor will be far simpler than the the engines you serviced in the past. The fancy stuff comes before the motor, magnetic starters, thermal cutouts, reversers, open phase detectors, and the most complex; the variable frequency speed controllers. You might give us a read on what role you might have with the motors; rewinding, leakage measure, transmissions, bearing replace, controls, etc..

Old 12-04-07, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Probably beyond the DIY scope but I'll try anyway.

Im an auto mechanic of 20+ years and decided to pack up the tools, in favor of moving to the companys building maintenance department. No liscensing requirements, I'll be under a Supervisor at all times. Passed the written and hands on tests, But will completely admit that motors and 3 phase are not a Highlight of my resume.

What resources Would you guys recommend???? I guess for safety reasons, "INTRODUCTORY" 3 phase info is slim on the net...
I have got a lot of help from http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/index.php

dsk

Old 12-04-07, 07:20 AM
The only thing I see in the immediate future of motors, is the garage bay doors, and the Logic reversal gizmo's. I've always been taught two things , If you know what its supposed to do and how it does it, then you can fix it, and Repitition, repitition, repitition (Practice makes Perfect?) I've never given second thought to how 3 phase electric works,or what it does, I just dont want to hurt anyone while in the process of Repitition. The rest of this would be basic lighting, and basic "Maintenance Man" stuff....And Like I said , I will be under a supervisor at all times.

Old 12-04-07, 04:32 PM
Working on 3 motors is far much eaiser than the single phase motor due very simple construction.

but becarefull with the three phase system some can be very tricky espcally if you have the delta system that have wild leg [ you can call other name but i keep it PG-13 here not the R-17 rated talk here ]

the wild leg will have 208 volts line to netural it can do wonderfull damage if not carefull with it.

but there is one golden rules with three phase system anytime you run in 3 ph system with netural there #1 freaking rule is never LIFT the netrual wire at all when the power is on othter wise you will smoke anything fast if any load is connected line to netual loads.

the common 3 ph voltage is:
208Y/120
240D/120
480Y/277
600Y/347[ few place have this but in great "northen " area do have this pretty common ]

you mention garage door openers some come in 3 ph verison and majorty are single phase useally reveseable motor but some have instat reversing motor as well.

to reverse the rotation on 3 ph motors is very easy just swap the any 2 of 3 leads.
but for single phase it get pretty compated matter.
on single phase motor there is at least 4 or 5 diffrent style each one is diffrent and you will say .,,, but dont worry if you can understand the basic operation of single phase motor run then it will pretty easy to troble shooting it.

Unclediezel .,, i am sure you are very famuair with the automotvie alternator right ?? if you say yes and you took it apart before right ?? ok basically it the same way with 3 ph motors sans reifciers. the only diffrene is the size and voltage that about it.

if have more question i can translated from " mechainc " words to " electrician " words.

i work both way because i work on alot of very large generators as part of my bussiness so i know both way

Merci, Marc

Old 12-04-07, 05:08 PM
Unclediezel,
If you are getting into the electrical end of things, you might want to check out the Code Forum @mikeholt.com.
You will learn alot there.
Please keep in mind that it is for people in the business, not DIY type questions like this forum.

Old 12-04-07, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by dezwit View Post
Unclediezel,
If you are getting into the electrical end of things, you might want to check out the Code Forum @mikeholt.com.
You will learn alot there.
Please keep in mind that it is for people in the business, not DIY type questions like this forum.
Been there, Way too far out for me...
I was looking for ...3phase for Dummies

Old 12-05-07, 12:33 AM