Corner Sink - Outlets Placement

Old 12-04-07, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corner Sink - Outlets Placement

In my reconfigured kitchen I'm going to have a corner sink. My question is about the placement of receptacles along the countertop.

Do I need to put receptacles behind the sink on each of the walls that define the corner within 24 inches out from the corner? Since there's usable countertop behind the sink it would seem that there might need to be outlets back there to insure that no part of the counter is more than 24" away from an outlet.

However, if the sink defines the start of the usable counter, should I instead install the first receptacle on each of these corner walls at a position adjacent to the edge of the sink, which in this case would be about 36" out from each corner?

Is there some specific wording in the code that deals with this situation?

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 04:37 PM
Yes.
Article 210.52(C)(1).
Draw a line straight back to the wall parallel with the edge of the sink, then measure 24" to the first outlet.
"Receptacles shall not be required on a wall directly behind a range or sink."

Old 12-04-07, 04:49 PM
Thanks dez. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 12-04-07, 10:04 PM
Hmmm may have some bad news. For a corner sink configuration, that exception only applies if the distance behind the sink is less than 18".

You didn't say what that measurement was, but if the far edges of the sink are 36" out from the corner, my _rusty_ trig says that the distance behind the sink is at least 25.5" in your case.

Old 12-05-07, 12:03 PM
Core,

Thanks for the diagram. That actually helps me alot.

My 36" measurement was taken using a line that was perpendicular to the walls, not parallel to the edges of the sink. Using your diagram, that 36" becomes about 20". I'll just need to get a sink thats deep enough to keep the back within the required 18". On the other hand, it looks like I'll need to add another outlet along one of the walls heading out from the sink. Oh well.

Dave

Old 12-05-07, 12:14 PM
No problem.

Just for the record, that is Exhibit 210.52 from the 2005 NEC. I should have cited credit when I posted that -- guess I accidentally cut the caption off at the bottom.