feeding dishwasher/disposer

Old 12-06-07, 05:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
feeding dishwasher/disposer

I need to run wire for my dishawasher and disposer. I plan on running both off the same circuit, with a 20A breaker. Rigth now, there is nothing there- no cabinets, no applainces (not even the sink). I have full access from the basement underneath. Because it sits on an outside wall, the plumber wants to plumb the sink through the floor, instead of running the water lines through the 2x4 outside wall. I figure that this is a good idea, and I am thinking the same should apply to the electric.
so my question is what I need to do to get the electric into the cabinet below the sink, so that I can plug the 2 appliances in. can I use romex? or do I need to run bx or armoured cable in the cabinet?
thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-07, 06:20 PM
Run the cable in the wall. Install a receptacle in the wall, or leave enough cable so you can come into the sink base cabinet and install a surface mounted receptacle.

Old 12-06-07, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Be careful if your being inspected it is very common now that local code will require the dishwasher on a dedicated circuit. I'd split the receptacle and put both on their own circuit but it is common to find them wired as you are describing also. This is how I would do it.........

Old 12-06-07, 07:30 PM
thanks for the input. I would rather not put the box in the wall, unless I have to. would it be permissable or possible to run the wire inside the cabinet and put the the box in the cabinet? I would assume if I do that I need to use a metal box and bx? any other way?

Old 12-06-07, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How do you plan to do the countertop switch for the disposal?? I've never seen it done the way you are wanting but I suppose you could protect some romex in a conduit sleeve and put in a surface mount wall box.

Old 12-06-07, 08:23 PM
Yes, you can wire it with armored cable if you really want to. However, be aware that the plumber is concerned about freezing pipes, but you need not be concerned about freezing wires. I think you'll be happier in the end with in-wall cabling.

Old 12-07-07, 07:48 AM
the reason why I don't want to wire in the wall is because the wall is already roceked and finished... but I guess I can use a couple of remodel boxes, right?

Old 12-07-07, 08:34 AM
You can install the wiring in the all without damaging the sheet rock.

Old 12-07-07, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
You could use romex through the floor into the back of the cabinet. Any exposed cable should be sleeved in 1/2" flex or emt conduit to protect it from damage and then surface mount an outlet in a 4" square box. However, you are going to need a switch to control the disposal. You could put the switch in the cabinet too but that would not be very covenant. You can easily cut the sheetrock below where the back of the cabinets will cover. That way you won't have to patch or just do minimal patching.

Old 12-08-07, 08:07 PM
My village does not allow any BX. Greenfield up to six feet is allowed. Dedicated circuit for the dishwasher is also required. Since you want to avoid drywall work, put in an "old work" box for your switch. With this hole for the box you can fish the greenfield flex cable. Drywall work would be easy where the cabinet will cover.