light switch kicks breaker off

Old 12-06-07, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
light switch kicks breaker off

I've got a light switch that keeps kicking off the breaker everytime I flip the switch on. It even does it when nothing else is turned on that is on this curcuit. I replaced the switch and I get the same thing. Is the breaker bad? It doesn't kick breaker when I turn on the tv or the other rooms light switch. Does anybody have any ideals? Could it be that light fixture?

thanks moose

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-07, 03:18 AM
Have you worked on any of the associated wiring recently? When did this start happening?

How many wires are in the box containing the switch and what are they connected to?

Yes, the problem could definitely be at that light fixture. Open it up and pay close attention to the black wire(s). If one has come loose and is now in contact with something metal it would cause this. Also check the insulation on the wires both at the switch and fixture.

Old 12-07-07, 08:36 AM
It's probably not the switch that's the problem. It's what the switch controls.

Be sure to shut off the circuit breaker before opening up the fixture.

But if anything changed recently, suspect that first. Even if you just hung a picture or mounted a bookshelf.

Old 12-07-07, 12:28 PM
there was a new gfi receptacle put in but It is on all the time and it works find. That is the only thing done between the times of it working and not working. The house was just bought by a friend of mine. I am going to go up in attic to see if I can see the light fixture wires. You can see wires from inside of fixture. by the way I did remove the gfi and capped off the wires and still the breaker flipped.

moose

Old 12-07-07, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
Are you sure you don't have the hot and neutral attached to the switch. I have seen that before.

Old 12-07-07, 02:47 PM
I don't know why you'd go up into the attic. You should be able to tell less from up there. If it was done even halfway correctly, you won't see any of the connections from the attic.

Is the new GFCI on the same circuit as the switch? How far away from the switch is it located? Did you so much as open the switch box any time since it was last working?

Old 12-09-07, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Are you sure you don't have the hot and neutral attached to the switch. I have seen that before.
No the light worked when they first looked at the house after they closed and got the keys it would not work, no wires have been removed or added.

"QUOTE=I don't know why you'd go up into the attic. You should be able to tell less from up there. If it was done even halfway correctly, you won't see any of the connections from the attic.

Is the new GFCI on the same circuit as the switch? How far away from the switch is it located? Did you so much as open the switch box any time since it was last working"

please read past post - I changed the switch out did not work so yes I did open switch. And I opened the light up and
it is a matel box with a sock hooked to it and there are no wires visiable so the wires have to be in the attic since the light is up in the CEILING. The GFCI is about 4 feet away from the light switch but on the same breaker but the switch
does not control the GFCI.

moose

Old 12-09-07, 07:07 AM
I am still unclear as to when it stopped working. If it stopped working at the same time as the GFCI was installed, then the GFCI is installed wrong, or the wiring was changed so that the switch is now wrong.

You don;t need to go in the attic. The light has a way to access the wiring from below.

Have you looked at the witch wiring to see if it is now wrong?

Old 12-09-07, 09:53 AM
How old is the fixture? From reading it sounds like the fixture or the wiring at the fixture. Remove the fixture and test.

Old 12-09-07, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by nagra4s View Post
How old is the fixture? From reading it sounds like the fixture or the wiring at the fixture. Remove the fixture and test.

It is old and It has a socket made of ceramic and it is bolted in a matel box. The wires can not been seen from below.
The GFI was installed around the time it stopped working but
It is powered all the time so I don't see this switch beening affected by that.

moose

Old 12-10-07, 07:37 AM
You may not understand why the GFCI has anything to do with it, but the rest of us do.

Check the wiring at the switch and at the GFCI. Let us know ALL the wiring in detail.

Old 12-10-07, 10:26 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The wires can not been seen from below
Are you saying when you remove the lamp holder from the metal box there is no wire or no connections except those directly to the lamp holder screws? Try it with the lamp holder unfastened and hanging from the wires after making sure the two wires are not touching each other or the box, if still shorts then try with lamp holder removed.

Old 12-10-07, 04:27 PM
found the problem I went up in the attic and found the juction box and they put a new cover over it in order for it to pass inspection and when they did it they must have moved some wires around they put one wire from the switch to the ground on the fixture. Also the light fixtures is inclosed and has wires coming out of the top. So I had to go in the attic to see the wires there was no wires visible from underneath. but everything works.

thanks moose