220v power converter

Old 12-08-07, 05:33 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220v power converter

I recently purchased a Tanning bed that needs a 220 outlet.
can I just buy a power converter and a surge protecter and have the surge protecter act as the breaker or will iI have to put in a 220 outlet on it's own breaker?

any info greatly appreciated Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-07, 05:38 AM
R
You need to run a dedicated circuit (240 volts of the correct amperage) for this device.

Old 12-08-07, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Surge protecter only protect from over voltage (a surge). They are not overcurrent devices (breakers).

Old 12-08-07, 06:10 AM
B
No body buys a tanning bed for personel use. I bet you have a small buisness, don't you?

If so your only option would be to hire an electrcian, for safteys sake. Anyone who wants to use a surge protector as an OCPD does not know how to safely wire a 240 volt recetpacle.

Old 12-08-07, 06:25 AM
Z
actually i did buy it for personel use. secondly i asked the question before doing it , so that i can do it safely.I figured i would need an electrician but thought I may be able to get around it.

Old 12-08-07, 06:37 AM
R
I have heard of people buying tanning beds for personal use. I would never do it, but to each his or her own...

You don't need an electrician (provided you can do electrical work where you live), but you do need to understand what you are doing.

Installing a 240 volt circuit is different than installing a 120 volt circuit, but not more difficult. But if you have never installed a 120 volt circuit it can be just as challenging.

If you think you can tackle this on your own, I suggest reading before you do anything else. The book Wiring Simplified is a good place to start. It is available at the big box stores and on-line. Read this book and read the appropriate sections of several other books. If you then think you can tackle this project, post back with your plan and any questions and we can help sort them out.

On the other hand, if you don't even want to try tackling this project or if you want it right away, then I suggest that you hire an electrician.

A tanning bed needs it's own circuit (as do most 240 volt loads) because they need high current. Attempting to use two 120 volt circuits and a converter is, in my opinion, a bad idea. First, you would need unloaded circuits (or possibly lightly loaded circuits). Second you would likely need an extension cord as most people do not have two separate circuits close to each other in their house.

Old 12-08-07, 06:59 AM
Z
I appreciate the help racraft i am going to get an electrician. I honestly don't know anything about this stuff just posed a ? and see if i could get some help on the matter. thanx